Agnostic.com

6 2

LINK Yuval Noah Harari: What explains the rise of humans? | TED Talk

I hear a lot of people denouncing religion as fiction, which of course it is (in most cases) but our capacity for fiction is a large part of what makes us different from any other animal...

skado 9 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Actually this explains even better than I can, why Matiases “we” model posted the other day is so misguided. There are of course two “we” the small we, family and friends, which must be common to all social animals because it would be impossible to function socially without it, and the larger “we” community, state, religion etc. which are part of the big fictions. They can only therefore follow after language and the beginnings of culture, and not before, the “we” being a development of the fictions and not their creator.

We think we control this world but in the end it will be the victor. Unfortunately, it is our large and increasing numbers that are conflicting with our collective corporating . We are not talking about tens of thousands but billions and those billions are starting to reduce the planets resources to a dangerous level. Yes, to a point fictional stories shaped our past history. But if they were to continue to shape our history the history will all be in the past tense. We need to get away from fiction and move on to reality. This was not covered and, therefore, told me nothing I already didn’t know.

Our fictional model of the world is not an accurate one matched to reality, because there are large gains in profit and power for some to be made by distorting it. Yet people will still beleive in the model until reality slaps them dead.

It’s a great video which offers pertinent insights about humanity. I enjoyed the humor also.

I wonder if the word “fiction” is the correct word to use in connection with mass human cooperation. Take money for example. It is true that a dollar bill has no intrinsic value, but that misses the point of money. The monetary system as a whole is an accounting system that greatly facilitates trading. Trading is not a fiction.

The borders of a nation are sort of a fiction in that they exist as mind-stuff, but the nation itself is not fiction. A nation is the people who live there. It is through cooperation that those people organize themselves into a nation. Cooperation precedes the fiction. We think up labels or symbols for things like countries, corporations, religions because it’s more efficient for communication. The tail of labels does not wag the dog of substance.

Yes, but we are only able to communicate concepts because we use a lot of little fictions, i.e. words which are the components of the language used to comunicate them. Each word, (apart from to a degree a few like cough or bang which do sound like the thing they represent) is itself a little fiction. All human culture uses fictions to model things, but that does not affect the reality of those things, only the way we model them. Just as our individual brains, use fictions in turn, to model the world according to the information gathered from our senses. For example there is no such thing as the colour green, it is just a symbol our brains use to represent things which reflect only certain waves of light in the middle of the visible spectrum. And so the letters D, O, and G, are used to represent our four legged friend, but it is a complet fiction that the three letters have anything to do with canines, in fact if you turn them around then, GOD !

Yet of course the real danger is that, since our cultures are at second hand from reality, not locked into objective truth but just fictional models, then it is much easy for people to bend models to their will than realities. I can turn dog into god just by typing, and back again, but I can also create a Dog God, just as easily and then tell people it is true, especially if those people make the mistake of thinking that language, because it is hallowed by tradition, contains truth in itself, which many people do.

This is the single most important truth which everyone should understand, the source of both all we have and all our curses. I have never seen a better or more important video on line, everybody should watch this. We gain so much simply, because evolution by natural selection has no foresight, and therefore it could not have planned for the effects of the biggest change in our environment which ever happened, the invention of abstract language, which enabled us not only to invent better fictions but also to spread them far and wide. If it had been able to foresee that, then the short term losses to the indivdual that following fictions cause, would have prevented the whole developement of human culture.

A dialogue between Death (yes the grim reaper itself) and her granddaughter (by adoption... is complicated) about lies on the book Hoghfather (a kind of Santa Claus in that universe)

“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”
― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Humans or sapiens have proven to be the more successful predator. Knocked off all the other similar species and are now left with beating up on each other.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:328033
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.