Agnostic.com

7 2

LINK Alabama bill would require schools to start day with Pledge of Allegiance

Actually, they are already required by Alabama state Board of Education rules. But it wasn't happening in one school, so State Rep. Ledbetter thought a law would fix the problem.

I guess he thought it was too much work to just point out to the school admin that they should be following Board of Education requirements...

Elganned 8 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Forcing students to participate with no choice seems to me to be in conflict with freedom of assembly (or rather freedom not to assemble in this case), and also freedom of speech. Not to mention the "under god" line is a violation of religious freedoms.

If Alabama was not attached to the U.S. it would be a Third World country.

Then soon enough we can drop the hand over heart during the pledge and go back to this. [en.wikipedia.org]

It irks me that the 'under god' portion wasn't added until the early fifties. Christians taking over even then. What the hell has happened to separation of church and state?

@freeofgod Added because we were fighting those godless commies. If you didn't believe, you must be one of "them".

It's this 'we are better than everyone' mentality that has us in this mess to start with.

It’s already done in Texas. I’m in schools quite early in the morning, I don’t participate (in a respectful way)as I’m not American. It takes but two minutes with morning announcements and the 30 sec of silence instead of the anthem.

Without the government, who would tell us what to think and say?

Fix the problem.
Vote Libertarian.

Anything to avoid working on their sixth-worst-in-the-nation poverty level.

But wait- maybe kids not reciting the Pledge is what's causing poverty! How much money does that generate? Someone look it up, quick!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:328237
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.