Agnostic.com

2 0

Will the March 14 student walk out for gun control do any good?

Kids are going to skip school March 14 to protest gun violence.

I don't think that will accomplish anything except emphasize the notion that SHORT TERM demonstrations are more important than LONG TERM education.

After all, the kids could also band up to form polical grassroots movement and work toward political change after shool every day of the week and on weekends.

Full disclaimer: I don't think protests are effective. And even less so when there is no follow up plan and no "foundation" to the protest such that there is action after the protest. My guess is that they will skip school on March 14 and by March 15 forget all about it... these are kids after all, that have demonstrably shorter attention spans than adults that protest one day and then feel they've done their duty and go back to doing nothing the next.

There is a lot of subtlety to this issue including that it's the law that kids attend school, that it's their right to be politically active, that as adults they might (or not!) get fired if they engage in the same activities at work, etc.

What are your thoughts?

TheMiddleWay 8 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This will be something they will remember for the rest of their lives. I've got a lot more faith in kids than you apparently have.

gearl Level 8 Mar 5, 2018

I am part of a Women’s March group and we are helping the local teenagers set up a March for Our Lives event on March 24

A March by itself is a flash in the pan, that is true, but it can be the catalyst to band people together for long term organization. Just like the women’s march built our organization so that we do have a grassroots organization. We aren’t just doing one event every year.

Hopefully the teenagers will use this moment as their own catalyst.

Myah Level 6 Mar 5, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32854
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.