Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK Scholar Jonathan Metzl: White supremacy is literally killing white people | Salon.com

A VERY interesting read but it gets tangled up in what makes America great. Ads. You have to pay to keep the ads from constantly interrupting your focus. Read it anyway and post your opinion. It's that deep.

IAJO163 8 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

See, this is one reason I don't go into Wal Mart. I also don't open carry almost anywhere. But I assume anyone who does, is legally entitled to- because it's legal in my state.

"Democrats have made the mistake of trying to speak intelligently to stupid people", is what this doctor (is he a doctor?) seems to be saying. In some ways it's hard to disagree, considering how many people don't see right through the Republican party's obvious crap.

In other ways, though, he's right along on the bandwagon of Democrats insulting people for being so stupid that they keep owning guns when it's so obviously stupid of them! This is the cultural elitism that alienates a lot of working and middle-class people. There needs to be a higher percentage of liberals who also do lowbrow things like bowling, hunting, and beer drinking in the high ranks of the Democratic party. And, yes, gun ownership is part of that.

He also misquotes some commonly-misquoted statistics, like the rate of gun violence. Gun deaths have gone down dramatically over the last 20 years. Despite recent spikes, on average our cities are much safer. The perception is what's changed, because of the instant-news, everything-reported-as-it-happens, everything-on-twitter culture. And the fact that a "mass shooting" is defined as 4 deaths. I've always taken issue with that. Four deaths is a tragedy, but it's also an automobile accident. You don't see auto accidents reported as "mass freeway deaths"; why are they "mass shootings"?

I hear you and I must point out that if you're on this site then a measure of intelligence is already in place. Guns are becoming like sex. Even the least intelligent can purchase and use them. That's the problem. Someone said that if they could sell common sense then they'd be a billionaire. I tend to agree. It is an informative article and a good read.

@IAJO163 My thing is that I support gun ownership, but I support responsible ownership, and that puts me at odds with the NRA set. I was trained in shoot/don't shoot scenarios and overall use of force situations, armed or unarmed (with the emphasis on minimizing force and de-escalating a situation, retreating and avoiding an incident whenever practical) before I ever applied for a carry permit. In almost 20 years as a corrections officer I've been assaulted only 4 times, because I can talk prisoners into backing down or avoid confrontations turning violent in the first place. Those are teachable skills.

I believe there needs to be a minimum standard of training before anyone gets a permit, and it needs to be nationwide. Intensive classroom instruction on a small-group basis where the instructor is a qualified law-enforcement trainer, and is more than willing to fail someone who's overly aggressive and shows signs that they're going to go out looking for trouble.

Alas, this standard would cost tax dollars and "infringe on our rights", so it's unlikely it will ever come to pass.

@Paul4747 I am surrounded by non permit, uneducated and angry gun owners who are highly impulsive time bombs waiting to detonate. Whether it makes the news or not, someone in this city is the victim of gun violence daily. I understand the anger which is why I don't own a gun. I have a long list lol.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:328934
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.