Agnostic.com

9 1

Awk ward! Um...

So what are the more awkward responses you've had to the news that you're a non-theist?

michaeljvaughn 5 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

" I just don't understand" is what I usually hear. "Its such a large part of my life". One time, found out one "Christian" didnt know about the dove flying from the ark to find the olive branch. Yeah, I can tell how much it means to you.

"Where do you think you'll go when you die?" is a common one.

If they are nice they ask that. Otherwise they get real scared and tell you you're going to hell.

I always tell them I'm going to meet a psychopomp who will lead me to the next mystery. Not too challenging, but it gives them something to consider outside of their programming.

Did you have a bad experience with religion growing up?

Actually, I had a beautiful experience in the church, but my belief in deities was long ago fading. I might still be a follower had it not been for a major life-altering event that changed the history of my life!

For the best? I wouldn't say that. For the worst? I wouldn't say that either.

To awaken my mind to reality. Yes. This.

I have a friend that says I'm going to heaven anyway, and when she gets there she is going to demand they let me in. I have a couple of dear friends that it took them about 5 years to put me in their will as guardian of their child because they knew I would not take her to church. A lot of wide eyes and silent disbelief. I'm so used to it. I think the most awkward times are when I meet someone incredibly intelligent, something about god comes up that I scoff at, and it's ME that assumes they don't believe; that's when I get a shock.

Belief can be a beautiful thing, but most often it's a series of judgements about other people - like telling you that you're going to their heaven whether you'd like to or not. I honor most beliefs that inspire other people. I don't like beliefs that compel.

Well, I came out to my parents as oth beign gay and beign an atheist at the same time. Oddly my parents were more concerned about my geign gay... as if my "Immortal soul" was of no concern.

I think it is alwasy other who feel more awkward than us non-theists.

Whew! A one-two punch! Good to get it all out on one day🙂

@michaeljvaughn Yeah, if there is goign to be drama i guess it is best to get past it all at once. However, my strategy was that by coming out as an atheist at the same time as coming out as beign gay meant i took away all their religious weapons to come after me with. I knew I'd never be all that close to my parents because of their religion (Mormon) whether not not I came out, so there really wasnt' all that much risk involved.

@snytiger6 solid thinking!

Not one, ever.

I've had contentious conversations about belief, and my lack thereof, but not a lot of awkward responses that I recall. But it reminds me of a joke: A man moves into town and his neighbor stops by to welcome him to the neighborhood. They talk about many things, and eventually the neighbor asks whether the newcomer is Catholic or Protestant. The new resident replies that he's an agnostic. "That's fine," says the neighbor. "We all pray to the same God."

When those two women pulled up to the front porch to spread the good word and I told them I was atheist and they just stood there looking at me. It wasn't awkward for me. ?

Nothing really.... I treat it as need to know basis and for the most part, I don't bring it up. No one needs to know.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:329396
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.