Agnostic.com

1 0

Just wanted to see if anyone else had these same thoughts ever. So I've had this really intense fear of death ever since I was around 5 or 6 years old and I've recently started to become angry about death as a mechanic in life. I'll become tearful and angry at even the thought of people being forced to die or people losing loved ones or all the horrible/depressing things that people have to go through. I'll find myself angry at a God I don't even believe in that I'm so sure doesn't exist that I know 100 percent isn't there, but I have this just weight in my chest and feel powerless to help anyone ever. I don't know what else to aim my emotion at, but as I get older this feeling is getting worse. Youth was my excuse for this angst but that excuse is getting old.

Random thoughts
Discussion
Sharing

KyleSpillman 3 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My first question is "How old are you?" I am 57.
I have felt many of the emotions and doubts you described, about death.
I was brought up in a nice, albeit religious family. I tried to believe in the existance of a perfectly benevolent god, but found too many inconsistencies between biblical teachings and reality as directly observed. I have settled for a multi-pronged approach to looking at many of the major issues, such as death and afterlife. How about if I share my views on the last issue?
If there is an afterlife, as most religions claim, which one is right? I think this is too divisive for a perfectly benevolent deity to set up, so I reject it as sectarian propaganda.
Perhaps a perfectly benevolent god would have a well thought and executed afterlife for all, regardless of their sectarian belief system. I could accept that if such be the case.
Is there a heaven or hell? Please note that I use these terms in a non-sectarian meaning.
I could accept the existance of a heaven, because a perfectly benevolent god would likely create such a place. But such a god would not need to create a hell. Simple oblivion would suffice.
so, to summarize a long-winded explanation, Heaven or Oblivion seem equally likely, but Hell is antithetical to a perfectly benevolent god.

Logically, an atheist simplifies this matter by believing in Oblivion for all.
Over-all, I've stopped worrying about the afterlife or the lack thereof.
Sectarians believe I'm going to Hell, although my personal ethics and morals are stronger than the majority of the ones who believe they are "Saved" and headed for Heaven.
Non-sectarians mostly believe I'm headed for Heaven, while the rest believe I'm headed for Oblivion.
Agnostics, like myself don't have enough data to lean one way or another between Heaven or Oblivion, so it is the whole Schroedinger's Cat debate all over again.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33167
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.