Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK D.C. housed the homeless in upscale apartments. It hasn’t gone as planned.

This is an article expressing a good idea gone bad due to a mentality instead of a physical manifestation. You can't fix it. You can only try.

IAJO163 8 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A huge part of the issue is that in the cities only one size apartment(luxury) are being built. Smaller apartments could be built and could be windowed ie. income between xxx-xxx. Second-as the article articulates-mental illness has never been solved after closing all the institutions in the 60's. There are people that need more support/structure. My opinion is that there should be housing units built that have more services. ie. an aide for 6-8 rooms with a common living area. Think suite in a college dorm. The problem is that the market doesn't want to build this. The current policy that private citizens would have a unit with aides for 1-2 people is fiscally irresponsible and there is much overhead associated with private properties. economically unfeasible. Overall this is another example of America's solution-"just throw money at" - while the root problems NEVER get solved.

Granted. It's a part of daily life for me and I'm acquainted with quite a few of the homeless and I've watched how the mentality works for over 10 years and it is tough to change. They like their lives and don't really desire change. so why try? Some make it back to society but most prefer the indigent lifestyle.

@IAJO163 Many of those in shelter are there waiting for housing. The reason for this is the cost of rent and the policy is weighted to those in shelters being placed first. The reason I mentioned having smaller affordable units-people wouldn't need the voucher. US cities have a large homeless as how our budgetary pie is allocated. Other international cities have partial percentage, whereas as the article mentions-DC's is 1%. People wait a long time for vouchers-if more appropriate options were available for the more mentally afflicted-the scenarios described in the article wouldn't take place. Also after being in a shelter for that amount of time there is certainly knowledge beforehand who is capable of functioning on their own. The result will be that building will be filled primarily with ex-homeless-many who could integrate with society-while driving out the ordinary citizens. This is therefore defeating the whole purpose of attempting to integrate the mentally ill-becuase the building will essentially become a pseudo institution.

@think-freely I am understanding of "want" Those who want to reenter society at a productive level will take advantage of what's being offered. The indecisive will continue to repeat the cycle.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:332681
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.