Agnostic.com

17 3

QUESTION Florida residents could soon get the power to alter science classes

These bills would also require “controversial theories and concepts” in science to be taught in a “factual, objective and balanced manner”. This language can be problematic, Branch says. “When we teach that the Earth is round, are we imbalanced if we don't teach that the Earth is flat?”

If enacted into law, the instructional-materials and alternative-education standards bills would enable special-interest groups to promote their own agendas, potentially overriding experts who write science curricula and recommend educational tools based on scientific evidence, says Leah Qusba, deputy director of the Alliance for Climate Education in Boulder, Colorado. “That’s a whole can of worms that you're opening.”

zblaze 7 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We see this phenomenon in history. When a religous group gains new power they seek to expand their control and influence over the society. Take Emperor Constantine, for instance. He imposed Christianity on the entire Roman Empire. The people didn't choose to change their pagan religion. So the emperor in 325 initiates the Counsil of Naecea in present-day Turkey.
Here's the mind-blower: bishops from all over the world got together and formulated the present-day Bible from among many others. This is where the "Apostle's creed" comes from. Empowered by the dictates of the fanatical emperor, they decide to change the very concept of hell to try to scare the shit out of the proletariat, slaves too. They came up with the concept of an eternal hell, unbearable fire, torture and total hopelessness. Until that time, no ancient religion conceived such a horror. New found political power emboldened their leaders.

Flat earthers: biblical/conspiracists/mental health issues

*I feel sorry for those with genuine mental health issues(though there are a lot of these flat earthers who have probably have cannibis psychosis), of course there are those preying upon them to ramp up book sales and youtube interest/subscriptions.

Sad days when these people are mentally going back several hundred years, with the power of the internet I never expected this level of stupidity to arise.

I was facinated by Bumba the Congolese Sky God, aka Mbongo. The Bushongo of the Central Congo believe Bumba vomited the entire universe.
So according to this logic Bumba should be taught in school with equal emphasis to Newton's Law of Gravity. Do I understand the new proposal correctly?

Yup!

Let's make a deal with these people. We keep our science books out of church and they keep their prayer books out of school.

This is very disturbing. Awful.

Stupid is as stupid does

Too much Disney World.

godef Level 7 Mar 6, 2018

Have to admit I'm starting to come round to Putin's way of thinking. [bbc.co.uk]

Jnei Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

LOL There are several nuclear bunkers at President Trump's Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago, where he has spent a number of weekends since taking office.

The cereal heiress who built Mar-a-Lago in 1927 had three of them installed during the Korean War.

There is another bomb shelter at Mr Trump's golf course a few miles away in West Palm Beach (under the second hole, according to Esquire).

Another bunker was created for President John F Kennedy not far from Mar-a-Lago.

It is located on Peanut Island, a 10-minute journey from a Palm Beach house where Kennedy often stayed.

Yet no bunker, however brilliantly assembled, will survive a direct hit, say experts.

This actually pisses me off more than the gun control debate. Don't these fools realise what a dangerous precedent they are setting? I'll go throw in my lot with the local Satanic temple and lobby for "After School with Satan" before I'd allow this christian crap. Aarrgghh!

There has already been a challenge in Brevard, Clay and Henery counties based on the need to teach the controversey! Sad but the dumbing down of America continues at an ever increasing speed.

BillF Level 7 Mar 6, 2018

your tax cuts at work

Ah yes, the popular idea that all ideas are valid and deserve equal time and attention. For an example of this kind of thinking and the effects it can have, look at main stream media and the way they cover the "news" by allowing equal time to lying nut jobs as they do scientists and other people who actually know what the subject they are speaking on. No doubt, the dumbing down of our schools and our public discourse through media are one and the same agenda...an uninformed electorate. The results...the death of any shred of democracy we have left.

tyranny by the masses

Will the ignorance never end?

Nuclear bunkers are so stupid. What a waste, use the money to help the homeless. Do these mega-rich people believe that life will still be worth living once the nuclear bombs start dropping? As Einstein said, if WWIII is fought with nuclear bombs, WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones.

And people wonder why I get so aggravated with these delusional believers!?

Dumbing down of society

This is what progressives call dumbing down the education telling fairy tales as science.These evangelicals are not loosing they are preaching politics from the pulpit still paying no taxes, usinmg school s for bible studies and church groups and clubs.

Sounds like they will be following in the footsteps of the Texas Textbook Commission to inject psuedo-science and altered versions of history to hide the truth. Sorry for the students who will be drenched in this slop.

I'm going to be facetious and say, "Pray it doesn't pass."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.