Agnostic.com

2 0

LINK “Humanism with Horns”: Hail Satan? Film Review - TheHumanist.com

FTA: Like the Baphomet statute, these efforts are responses to Christian indoctrination and monopoly over public spaces. Shoulder to shoulder against traditionally religious conservatives in America, the Satanist and the humanist are not just reluctant allies but enthusiastic comrades in rebellion against the Christian notion of a deity. In Paradise Lost, God is the authoritarian bully. And in the Temple’s version of the Genesis myth, Satan, lobbyist for freedom and access to knowledge, appears as the first human rights activist. Norwegian scholar Asbjørn Dyrendal has called Satanism “humanism with horns.”

zblaze 7 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Calling yourself a Satanist when you don't believe in a personal devil is a bit like calling yourself a Christian when you don't believe in Jesus. I have never really understood the confused branding, other than in a distant, intellectual way. I don't see the percentage in ginning up a movement that frames the debate in a way that pretty much guarantees you're going to be dismissed as a devil worshipper, when that's not remotely true.

I think it was designed by LaVey and his successors and imitators to attract provocateurs and iconoclasts, and they certainly do an excellent job channeling that particular aesthetic. It's not my personal cup of tea, but I love most of the activist projects I've seen them execute on.

It is based on the illustration by Eliphas Levi

Aren't all humanists horny?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:334564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.