Agnostic.com

6 1

The sociological ramifications of automation present a real challenge to our concept of work. A brick laying machine can lay a staggering 1000 bricks per hour, another machine outfitted with a laser, can accurately lay 300 per hour. All the operator has to do is make sure the machine is supplied with materials.
Here is a link to Ray Kurtzwell's talk about automation and what it might mean...what do you think.
[singularityhub.com]

cava 7 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think Ray Kurzweil is a little bit of a crackpot. His concept of the "singularity" is ludicrous to anyone in information technology with eyes to see. The simple fact that there's, by some measure, more raw computing power than all the biological brains in the world, doesn't mean a thing. It's like having a computer with a very high clock speed and no software to run on it. It's just a measure of raw power, not our ability to exploit it effectively, and certainly not the ability of the machines to run themselves. Or to have enough electricity to run them, a limitation that cryptocurrency "miners" are about to collide with.

If Ray is not a crackpot then he's a cynical opportunist making $$ off of hopeful and credulous fururists and/or fearmongering. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

All that said, yes, technology has been improving productivity geometrically since the 1970s at least, and it is making work obsolete -- or would be, if all the productivity wasn't being hoovered up by the wealthy. Peons like us were supposed to be working part-time for the same wages by now, and somehow we're working full time for even less wages.

At some point though, to keep the restive masses from tarring and feathering them, the elites are going to have to let go of some of the wealth, possibly in the form of a misbegotten implementation of a guaranteed minimum income, designed to placate people while simultaneously keeping them down.

I certainly don't agree with his point of Singularity...not sure if he still maintains it, but he is well positioned, informed and he presents a cogent opinion of the future. That said I prefer your point of view...eat the rich!

Historically automation has created more jobs than it has replaced. We should never fear progress. It just forces us to progress as humans

I don't disagree, but how do you suspect this will effect our concept of work? It appears to me that everything we are doing has to be based on the future of consumers and a market driven economy. People will need jobs to be able to consume so it is a bit paradoxical.

@cava Our concept of work, ideally, would be that it is just a way to raise your standard of living and your status above a fairly comfortable baseline, rather than a way to stave off penury and starvation. People will NOT need jobs to consume at a level that sustains their actual needs.

It's just that we're so used to being more hand-to-mouth than that, that there's a failure of imagination.

We are entering a world where we can afford to have a LOT more leisure and a LOT less pressure than humanity has been saddled with since forever. If, as I say elsewhere, the elites don't suck it all up for themselves.

That's not my ideal concept of work. I think ideally work allows its producers to substantially realize the responsibility of their efforts and their creative potential in production. I am not sure how this will be effected by the acquisition or much leisure time, which I agree appears to be happening. What will man be able to produce if machines can do it quicker and with greater accuracy?

I tried to like your post but it keeps on removing the like, do you have some sort of whammy in place...anyway like what you said.

AI and automation is the future of tech whether we like it or not. I don't think technological solutions to the problem of climate change will be quick enough to save us from our mess or the reality of extinction. If we do somehow find a way to survive our current insanity, automation may be one way we can exist on a much warmer planet Earth.

Looking to technology as a savior is a mistake, it can't save us from our own idiocy.

@cava I agree. I don’t think it’ll save us either, but they are gonna try.

I love kurzgesagt on YouTube. He does an excellent job in the attached video looking at automation. Historically, as jobs in one sector decreased, they increased in a new sector. Manufacturing jobs have decreased by up to 80% in some areas, with dumb robots like the brick layer, and that is increasing. We simply need fewer people if we have machines that take on some of the work.

The bigger issues that need to be addressed have to do with machines getting smarter. There is no reason that the guys loading bricks need to be there if the machine can recognize and load the bricks and recognize any safety concerns like people crossing it's path and we have other machines to deliver those materials. We see this sort of smarts appearing in self driving cars.

We will definitely need to think about work differently.

I tend to agree with Musk and S Hawkins "beware the killer robots". The Military would much rather lose robots then men, which may make a big difference on the battlefield, which the USA can't seem to avoid.

Was watching a brick laying machine on video awhile back . It still needs men to load the bricks , into the machine . The men aren't spending the day bent over, moving all that weight . They're upright loading the bricks into the machine , which then places the preloaded bricks on the prepared surface .

Yes, but I think a master brick layer takes pride in his craft, which will be difficult if they are simply feeding a machine.

@cava The machine lays bricks on a road or pathway , after it is designed by the master . It doesn't do buildings , which I suspect a master bricklayer would prefer to be doing .

@Cast1es Take a look, looks like a building

See Technocracy Inc. They saw this coming in 1918. Would that I had known about it in my youth before the movement became moribund. It would have seen and could have steered us clear of so many problems we face now and improved the human condition as well. If adopted tomorrow I am not sure it could help us now.

I wouldn't be so quick to count people out. In 2016 Mercedes decided to replace many of its robots for its custom work, because people are more flexible and easier to configure than robots.

@cava I do not believe the relative handful of automobiles they produce will reverse the trend of every other sector of the world economy. When money drives the economy, human beings are replaced wholesale by machines. Tokyo's robots replaced Detroit's Union members. As The Japanese had the corp. value of keeping employees for life, the relatively inefficient ($$$) production was replaced by Korean robots. The list goes on.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33639
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.