Agnostic.com

12 3

Zodiac Signs and Agnostics, walking contradictions?

Agnostics that believe in their Zodiac signs...
Do you find that the mythos around your Zodiac sign typically fits when reading your horoscope or sign compatibility articles in Astrology?

VictorPotter 3 Nov 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All things related to astrology seem cute and fun to me. I don't exclude the possibility that scientific astrology can actually predict things.
I am not religious, and I don't hold astrology or numerology to be divine. But I can't say unequivocally that it doesn't exist. There must be some scientific explanation for the angelic numbers that people have believed in since ancient times.
I'm closer to the image of the universe. And I believe that everything that happens to us is for a reason. Of course, we shouldn't look for deep meanings in everything, but sometimes events seem very consistent.

Astrology is a load of crap. It's quite literally 2000 years out of date. Easiest way to prove this is to get some software that can show the positions of the planets, moon, and stars for any date, common and cheap. Plug in the date for someone who's told you they are a Pisces or whatever, or they were born under this or that sign with a rising this or that. They are wrong. Due to a process called precession of the equinox, a very real, observable in a human lifetime process, easily demonstrated, the "signs" we are "born" in have changed. The very dates of the seasons have changed. Astrology, however, has not, so the "sign" you are born under --supposedly the constellation in which the sun was in the sky at your birth -- is off by approximately 30°. And it follows that all those other elements are off by the same, as well as off in relation to each other. If there were any basis in fact for astrology, the "signs" and what they mean and their significance would have to have been accounted for and adjusted, and they aren't.

So now, "modern" astrologers are using such programs to produce "accurate" models and "true" readings based on real, verifiable data, but if the science was demonstrably false to begin with, them any reinterpretation of the data, regardless where the planets, moon, and sun may be or have been, is still false. Garbage in, garbage out.

Worse than a belief in God, if you ask me.

Astrology is a scientific discipline practiced, taught and employed by all ancient cultures.

What we get as 'free daily horoscopes' are just general things that may point to some influences and nothing much. But it's fun to read them, they can be so off the mark.

Just my 2¢: To those who say there's no harm in believing in astrology, I respectfully disagree. Although the direct consequences of such belief may be benign, I think there's some risk whenever making decisions based upon faith-based claims. Suspension of critical reasoning skills, coupled with faith-based vaguaries, may lead people to squander their finances for a get-rich-quick scheme or to abandon proven medical treatments in favor of untested alternative. A lot of the serious devotees aren't working from the daily horoscope, but rather give money to a professional astrologer who goes deep and makes more definite claims and has real influence on the choices of the people who believe. If the zodiac is merely entertainment for anyone I see no real harm, but taking it seriously could lead to making especially unsound decisions.

I know a lot of people might think I'm crazy but I am very much interested in astrology and have been since my hippie days. As an agnostic I believe that there are things in the universe beyond the understanding of humans and the influence of the planets might be one of them. I don't think that merely reading a horoscope based on one's sun sign is very valuable but if one goes deeper and studies the position of all the planets at the time of one's birth one can obtain valuable insights. I know this was true for me.

To me, they are entertainment like cartoons not to be taken seriously.

Betty Level 8 Nov 11, 2017

I am with the Canadian governor General when she called them nonsense. And no my personality fits best with that of a middle child than my zodiac sign.

[lunarplanner.com] hmmm. i can say as above so below ..feet are pisces the to fish as your feet and your head is adjoin at aries so winter summer equinox equalling from mutable temperature change in rapid climb until it slow down to cold again. 187days of masculine energy and 178 days of feminine energy ..it needs to be looked at in 3rd world aspects as ancient used.. of needing the moon for growth of plants in the right time with moons tiding, plants grow by moon cycles,farmers know this what grows in winter besides water..so zodiacs sign are significant for growing in spring storing in summer and consuming in autmn winter.such as clothing warmth, food pickled medicine of plants for repair to water as temperatures plummet..

Most atheist/agnostics that I have had any contact with would regard zodiac signs and anything to do with astrology to be harmless amusements and nothing more.

I have a theory about zodiac signs and personalities. I'll say upfront the science might not be sound, since I'm not an astronomer. Is it possible that since the gravitational pull from the moon is responsible for waves in the ocean, that gravity on other planets, stars and such can affect someone's body at the point of either conception or birth? Since our body's contain so much water, and are also extremely fine tuned that even minute influences can cause similar patterns in personalities in those born in the same time frame. Still every person is unique. Just a thought I've had.

Which makes me wonder about the effects of gravity on fetal brain development, and more importantly at the moment brain activity begins.

I don't put any stock in astrology, but... who knows? If you or anyone has an affinity for it, then why not? As far as I know, there isn't any harm that could come of it, is there?

As far as there being any contradiction, that depends upon whether you view it as a whimsical coincidence or something truly derived from something divine. If the latter, then I would say it's a contradiction.

I am an INFP - Pisces myself, I find most of what is known about the INFP personality type and my sign to be true. I understand that people can be hybrids to any degrees but for 90% it is usually on point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3378
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.