Agnostic.com

1 0

LINK 100 Percent Is Overrated - The Atlantic - Pocket

This was an issue with my daughter, but she understands, and is dealing with it.

Tomfoolery33 9 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not convinced. Surely saying a child is stupid is worse? The secret is to praise their clever results, whilst not making it competitive.
US society is too fixated on winning, rather than participating. That surely is the real culprit?

I think the article is correct. Being "smart" doesn't get you anything. You still have to do the work. It's too easy when you think you're smart just to cruise on through school without really trying, or learning to work. Surely don't call a a child stupid, but praise the accomplishment, and not the idea that they're smart. They'll figure that out anyway.

@tnorman1236 I cruised through school the whole way, doing very little other than listen, and sometimes amusing myself by trying to prove something by an alternative method.
A prime example is in how to convert degrees Centigrade to degrees Fahrenheit. I was taught to divide the number by 5, then multiply it by 9 and then add 32, which is how almost the whole world does it. Initially, I realised that multiplying by 9 and then dividing by 5 was actually multiplying by 1.8, and there's an easy way to do that in your head. Double it and knock off 10%. eg. 12 degrees doubled is 24, less 10% (one tenth) makes 24 minus 2.4 which is 21.6. Easy! Now all I needed to do was add 32, to get an answer of 53.6 degrees Fahrenheit. But my amusement continued. Since minus 40 Centigrade equals minus 40 Fahrenheit, all we have to do is add 40 to bring both numbers to zero. So if I added 40 to 12 degrees Centigrade, I got 52, which doubled made 104 degrees. One tenth of that is 10.4, so subtract 10.4 from 104 and I got 93.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Now subtract the 40 so that the two scales again crossed over at minus 40 and there was my answer, worked out in my head - 53.6 degrees. The beauty is that it works exactly the same way for converting Fahrenheit to Centigrade, provided you divide by 1.8 instead of multiplying. When I proudly used this on a test, my maths teacher said my method was an approximation, which just luckily gave the correct answer for that particular question. I disagreed and the maths teacher gave me zero marks. Two days later, he apologised. He had been sounding off in the staff common room, when my physics teacher burst out in delight at my logic and explained that this method was 100 percent accurate and valid.
However, he advised me to still show my workings in the slow, traditional way for exams!
However, the add 40, multiply or divide by 1.8, subtract 40 method is much easier to programme for a computer.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:338721
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.