Agnostic.com

9 14

Made a new tablecloth today. Tactical error.

Since my foot still hurts, I made a new tablecloth today. Gotta stay busy.

Made a tactical error at Joann's Fabrics. Fell in love with this fabric ("It's so soft!" ), disregarding the fact that it's rayon. Once I got home, I looked up cleaning instructions.

"Wash by hand," experts advise. "Hang to dry."

If the tablecloth becomes too much of a pain, I'll turn it into a skirt. It's already hemmed (she thought optimistically.)

Or the world's fanciest dust rags. HA.

LiterateHiker 9 May 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A multi Talented lady,Fantastic work,,you should be very proud of your self and thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures of your self,,Gorgeous 🙂

@RoyMillar

Aw...gee...shucks. Sound of scraping hiking boot.

Thank you!

Your so very welcome ,getting my hiking boots and walking stick out also mmm

The tablecloth looks better today after developing its drape overnight.

To create a beautiful drape, I do directional sewing. Start in the middle and sew outward toward the seam.

Photos: dresses I made for myself.

A technique used in fine hems, necklines, and collars...it is nice to know another accomplished seamstress that practices the finer art of sewing...

@thinktwice

Thank you so much! Hugs.

@LiterateHiker Do you still sew clothing? If so, what do you like to sew?

@thinktwice

Still sew dresses for myself. Adjust patterns to fit me perfectly.

And do sewing projects for my daughter and her husband. When I visit, Claire hands me a pile of clothes that need mending. I bring my sewing box and threads.

One of my love languages is "acts of service." So, I love doing mending for Claire.

"I don't need to learn to sew because I'll always have you to fix things for me," Claire said cheerfully. Growing up, Claire resolutely refused to learn to sew. I sewed nearly all of Claire's clothes from age four to 11.

"I love falling asleep to the sound of your sewing machine, Mama," Claire said.

In the past year, I have been doing alterations for an elderly woman who is severely bent over with rheumatoid arthritis. Shirts and pants. I'm making Henrietta's shirts shorter in the front, and longer in back.

"Curving seams are more elegant," we agreed.

Photo: Claire, 6-12, was a gypsy dancer for Halloween. I gave Claire wiggle breaks while pinning up her clothes.

@LiterateHiker I also do a lot of mending and repairs for family and friends...people have favorite things that they want to hold on forever! ha ha

I did a lot of clothes sewing for my sister and me when we lived in countries where clothing was scarce but fabric was plentiful. I have collected fabrics from around the world but am no longer interested in making clothes. Maybe after I retire I will find renewed interest.

I like the idea of helping those with special needs alter their clothing...I put velcro closings on most of the clothes for my MIL because she had extreme arthritis crippling her hands. I have also sewn special tags in clothing for the blind so they know what pants go with what shirts without assistance.

Lovely to see your daughter as always and chatting with you...

I wash rayon all the time...lots of clothing is made from rayon...water weakens the fabric so you just have to use a slower agitation...and you might need to iron after it is dry...

I think it is lovely, although I just recently dumped all of my tablecloths in my quest for minimalism...

Beautiful! Perhaps one of those ugly plastic things to go over it and protect it?

Nice

Pretty!

Well, its gorgeous while it lasts!

@paulette96

Thank you!

Curtains?

nice job

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:340545
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.