Agnostic.com

10 1

So I got another rejection today for a job that I was well (over) qualified for. I cannot begin to tell anyone how discouraged I am when it comes to this whole process. If there is one thing that has been beating me down lately, it is my inability to understand what it takes to get a job in this market. Some of the responses I have gotten include that there were some 40 + qualified candidates of which I was not selected for the 21 interviews they have given, that my abilities are not exactly what they were looking for, etc.

I have 2 degrees, years of experience in my field and other types of work and I am always convinced after the interview that it went well. What am I missing?

Is it because I am old, fat. female, loud, too experienced, some other thing?

I guess I am looking for advice, suggestions, clues as to how I can find a job in this day and age.

Got any suggestoins? Thanks.

Akfishlady 8 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dress in black with a white blouse, lower your voice and take charge of the interview by asking what are you specifically looking for in this job. When they are finished speaking take the points they made one by one and tell them why you are qualified for the position. say something like I led this project or that project and how sucessful it was. How you saved a company money i s big one or how you introduced a new product or savings. Use ideed on computer or any head hunters.Do you have or can you get any letters of recomendations. Carry a briefcase,no jewlery or perfume and extend your hand to shake hands first as this shows leadership.Ask what they think of your qualifications at the end of the meeting in this manner Do you feel my qualifications meet your needs.? Look at smaller companies as their turnover is more important to their operation and generally they need to replace an opening quicker.Good luck .

You figured it out in you first sentence. A lot of employers do not want over qualified employees. Smart people cause ripples.

And being loud is not always a positive thing at the workplace. 😟

But don’t give up. 🙂

Seriously, I am also looking for a job.

Age is a factor. Management these days try to take younger people for mainly two reasons 1) they will be a cheaper resource 2) the energy, creativity and new ideas that the younger member brings.

However, age has its advantages too, it brings in experience.

So happy job hunting..

First, I want to say, "I'm sorry you have to go though that."

I had to go through a re-employment search in my early 50's.

Though it will be denied, age is part of your problem, as is the fact you are currently unemployed. I'm sure it will be debated, but I believe your gender is currently an advantage, though not a huge one. If you could claim a disability, that might help as well.

In my opinion, what they are looking for is EITHER someone who would be happily underpaid and tolerate violations of the labor laws. If you seem to be anyone who might complain about these things in anyway, you will be avoided.

OR they already knew who they were going to give the job to before they asked for applications, but did so to meet some contractual or legal job posting requirements.

I know this sounds terribly disheartening and it occurs more than people are generally aware.

What I can offer is the experience that persistence can overcome these unpleasant realities. Often one department does not know what another is doing, so don't hesitate to apply to a different department of the same organization the next day. Thank you notes mean a lot, people are still people.

I remember sending out about 500 resumes for every interview I got. Only about 1 in 7 interviews would result in an offer. Only about 1 in 5 offers were acceptable to me. Needless to say, that's a lot of resumes and interviews. But for the most part, no it isn't you. It is our corporate system and by association, our government systems. But that is no reason to quit and you can do things to improve your odds that I didn't do nearly enough, Thank you notes, tailored cover letters, even polite "I'm still interested" follow ups when you are turned down.

Again, it is not just you, keep at it. And be happy you aren't an old fat white guy.

Start your own business? You might try and limit what abilites you tell them you have, limiting your experience to only what is required for the job. They don't want to hire soembody more experienced than the manager usually.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 8, 2018

😟

Jnei Level 8 Mar 8, 2018

Who knows, luck of the draw I guess. never give up.

I am in a similar position. They may be looking for a younger less experienced person they can pay the starting wage. COurage

@Akfishlady have you written a business plan? Maybe if you do that some ideas will come up that may make it more possible

It sucks. Many are in the same boat as you. Is your local economy doing well? Maybe relocate? Get a different job outside of your field that still pays well? I work for the local transit company because the pay and benefits are good; not because I wanted a 'career' . I wish you well, hope you find sucess and hope I've helped at least a little. 🙂

I do feel your frustration and share with you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34216
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.