Agnostic.com

4 5

Swimmers beware: Rivers and lakes remain dangerously cold

"Sunny skies this time of year have people looking to enjoy Washington State's many bodies of water. But warming weather on land can be deceiving: Rivers, lakes and Puget Sound remain dangerously cold.

"Anyone venturing out onto a body of water should wear a life vest, tell someone where they’re going and check the marine forecast and water temperatures in addition to the weather, experts say.

"Popular rivers for recreation in both Western and Eastern Washington get especially cold in spring because they have snowmelt coursing through them.

"For example, the water temperature in rivers originating in the mountains, like the upper reaches of the Green River, are in the upper 30s, while the lower portion temperatures are in the 40s, said meteorologist Ted Buehner.

“Those who survive in cold water long enough to get hypothermia are lucky. A fall into cold water can drown a person within minutes due to cold-water shock,” said Rob Sendak, the boating program manager for Washington State Parks and Recreation."

[seattletimes.com]

LiterateHiker 9 May 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great Advice,Thanks for posting

I know all about that. One unusually hot day, in Michigan's UP, I charged into Lake Superior to cool off. Then I charged right back out again! That water was as cold as when the Wisconsin III glacier melted!

Cool here at the beach

Living near the Columbia River, I know they have 3 or 4 drownings every year in the Portland/Vancouver areas. However, it is nto just the cold water. It is also the current.

Thr eiver surface looks very placid, but in the main river channel the water flows faster under the surface thanon the surface. This creates an undertow. Peopel who are unaware of and encounter this phenomena will often panic, which increases the chances of drowning. I would guess that this is not unique to the Columbia River, so be aware of th ephenomena as a danger of swimming in rivers... especially larger rivers with deep channels

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:342724
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.