Agnostic.com

6 6

LINK Pete Buttigieg: If God belonged to a political party, "I can’t imagine" it would be the GOP | Salon.com

If he would just STOP! IT! with the God talk already, that'd be great. smh

#god #GOP
SeaGreenEyez 9 May 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't like god talk from any candidate, but he is using it gently and with a strategy that could help other democratic candidates as well, by showing the hypocrisy of the republican party in supporting our current president.

I have only seen him use God talk to call out the hypocrisy of how the Republicans use it and to defend his homosexuality using the very tool they use against him. I support him 100%. I support him because of his use of religion and military background, neither of which I admire in people in general. In his case I think it makes him the perfect person to delegitimize the current and dangerous GodnGuns rhetoric.

MsAl Level 8 May 8, 2019

@SeaGreenEyez Yah I see that as the opposite of everything he puts forward. He is the only candidate I have seen that actively tries to diffuse hate and doesn't actively feed the divide. He is white and Male. I don't vote based on race or gender. If I was voting based on that though, getting an openly gay person is way more of a big deal than woman or person of color.

Unless you are arguing all veterans are war mongers then that argument is invalid. The strongman military worship or your a traitor stance is what reins where I live. I believe someone exactly like Pete is what we need to diffuse it.

As for the hard core unchangeable GodnGuns bigots. A handsome gay man and his witty husband are the perfect payback for Trump.

@SeaGreenEyez The gay part is just a bonus for me. I have heard about the police scandal. To me it sounds like he did the best he could in a situation with no good answers that was inherited from previous leadership.

Sanders and Biden are doing the opposite of diffusing hate. I find them both extremely distateful. I like all the others. Changing the God Guns conversation is the reason I like Pete. I have waited my entire life for someone in power to throw their hypocrytical BS back at them. Policy wise I don't care much who gets there as long as it is a democrat who won't veto climate legislation. The issues they deal with will be determined for them. He is the perfect image of the antiTrump.

@SeaGreenEyez As a veteran myself, married to a veteran (and both of us are now pacifists)...I admire his military record and know that being in the military can teach someone a lot of things about the horrors of war and the goodness of peace.

I like everything I have heard from Pete so far...and what I've investigated about him. Just because you may disagree with choosing Pete as a candidate doesn't mean any of us who support him have bought into anything or been spoon-fed by the media. We are capable of looking deeper...and we do! Pete is a good, level-headed, intelligent human...some have called him the "anti-trump"...and I agree with that.

SeaGreen, I would love hear from you what your issues are with him...what all he did in Indiana that makes you discount him as a candidate...thanks. ^_^

My thought exactly. He makes so much sense otherwise, but I understand he has to try to connect to the god people somehow. I have no such inclination at all. These days any and all religious talk or references turn me off instantly and completely. Seriously, I shut down and just don't want to acknowledge anyone who utters any word of it, and I go to my happy place. They may as well not exist. I'd be a losing candidate for anything I suppose, but I have my integrity.

Love the squirrel!

He has to convince the Midwest Christians that being gay is not evil or sinful as I see it. If he weren't gay, he probably wouldn't even bring it up.

It's like he is methodically choosing to use their own weapon against them. He also clearly says that he doesn't disapprove of other religions or lacking religion.

No shit LMAO

I think its smart.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:343486
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.