Agnostic.com

5 2

I often feel like I'd like to get into writing poetry, but it seems my creativity always gets blocked. I get very self-conscious when I attempt to write, and I wind up getting stuck.. Any suggestions for a solution?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I appreciate the comments, but I think I'm just going to set this ambition aside for the time being.

Can't say I'm into poetry, but I've typed some extensive posts on various topics on another app awhile back, and once I got started I couldn't stop. If you decide on poetry, make sure it is on a topic you feel very passionate about, that helps. At times I could go on and on about topics such as tech gadgets and cyber security, so doing an extensive review on them comes easy to me. On another note...Crow Bot is my favorite from Mystery Science Theater.

Writing is kind of like cooking; if you think it's not good enough, maybe you can add a little something to it to make it better. And if you are not happy with a rough draft, you have the opportunity to revise it as much as you like. (Kind of like making a dish over and over to get it right.) Maybe jot down images or feelings you want to addresss. Or find a picture/painting that you like and take notes on how that makes you feel. It's all up to you, and no one else has to see it, until you choose to make it available.

be brave. it's just a pile of words.

I think maybe you're right. Maybe I have to be unafraid to step in.

Just keep plugging away! Try to set a time, & a particular amount of time, just for writing. & keep to it, even if nothing happens for you at first. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. I keep starting and then giving up. Maybe just keeping your nose to the grindstone is necessary. But I'll work on it.

The way I keep getting "stuck", all stiff and inhibited, gets really upsetting and frustrating. Maybe I just need to teach myself to relax and have fun with it, at least doing practice writing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34392
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.