Agnostic.com

4 2

QUESTION Why some Americans left religion behind | Pew Research Center

Why the religiously unaffiliated ("nones" ), a growing demographic in the US, left organized religion.

AustinSkepticus 7 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I for one am glad the younger generation is breaking free in such great numbers. Being atheist or agnostic when our founding fathers set up our constitution was not near as easy, they were truly the brave ones that set things up so we would have an easier path to reject organized religions ourselves.

Knowledge. It's just too easy to learn not only is there other religions out there that are different but there are also non denominational groups and groups that are not religious at all. People realize the traditions are no longer valid or helpful, the beleifs are outlandish, and that people seem to be able to hold a level of moral and ethical decorum without some book or pastor strongarming the rules or threatening a punishment for not living and believing just so.

AmyLF Level 7 Mar 10, 2018

The Internet.

No matter what us "old Farts" like to think. Our youth have a much better handle on science and logic than we did. They have a much better chance to break free from religion in society than we ever did. The internet did not exist when I was young. It today has been sited as the number one reason that people may reject religion. This Pew poll is ancient by todays standards. A whole two years. I would like them to do another one soon.

Apparently, however, they no longer teach the philosophy of science in school. When I was younger I never heard the now common question, "Do you believe in science or do you believe in God?" Everyone who understood the scientific method and the approach behind it knew this was an absurd question. Of course, this was back in the day of the Non-overlapping magisteria (NOMA) of Stephen Jay Gould and others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34502
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.