Agnostic.com

1 0

LINK Lethal Injections: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) - YouTube

I wanted to put this under silly, random and fun", bu this episode covers a few things which are neither silly nor fun. So, I opted to put it under "News and Links".

snytiger6 9 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The video is blocked in my country is there a mirror anywhere else?

okay found it

Damn I wish I had not, that is horrific

@LenHazell53 I opposed the death penalty before watching this, without knowing the horrors involved.

I think because it costs less to just imprison a person for life, and because innocent people have ended up beign executed, and the evidence to clear them often is never considered in stopping or at least delaying executions, that we simply shoudl not execute people, so the innocent (wrongfully convicted) have a chance are regaining freedom.

@snytiger6
The death penalty serves only a public lust for revenge, not justice.
We have had no death penalty since the the 1960s, the abolition was strongly opposed, but as was pointed out at the time, the ending of public execution in 1868 was also opposed for the same reasons, that it would stop execution for being a deterrent and at that time you could still be executed for robbery, larceny, rape and arson as well as murder and treason.

@LenHazell53 Back when I was in college gettign my BA in Sociology, I had ot take some courses in criminology. I learned that fear of punishment doesn't really ever work so well as a deterrent. The greatest deterrent to crime is the fear of disappointment and loss of status in the eyes of loved ones and the people the potential criminal cares most about.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:345649
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.