Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Why Can’t Americans Remember Anyone’s Death Other Than Those of Their Own? | The Nation

"Certain traumatic historical moments such as “the Alamo” and “Pearl Harbor” have become code words—almost mnemonic devices—for reinforcing the remembrance of American victimization at the hands of nefarious antagonists. Thomas Jefferson and his peers actually established the baseline for this in the nation’s founding document, the Declaration of Independence, which enshrines recollection of “the merciless Indian Savages”—a self-righteous demonization that turned out to be boilerplate for a succession of later perceived enemies. “September 11” has taken its place in this deep-seated invocation of violated innocence, with an intensity bordering on hysteria."

WilliamCharles 8 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Could you please elaborate, what is missing? I'm a first generation American and don't understand.

zesty Level 7 May 13, 2019

Not sure I understand your question. Missing how?

In school, we were only required to memorize these dates:

1. In 1620, the Mayflower landed in the New World.

2. The United States of America was founded on July 4, 1776.

3. In 1492, Christopher Columbus of Spain sailed for the Americas with the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria ships. (Thank you, @ToolGuy)

@ToolGuy

Correct. I forgot that. Thanks.

Vonnegut puts one of those dates in perspective.

@WilliamCharles

Exactly.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:346147
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.