Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK Nineteen Eighty-Four Turns 70 Years Old in a World That Looks a Lot Like the Book

"This month, George Orwell’s legendary novel Nineteen Eighty-Four turns 70 years old, and the warnings contained within the story are now more relevant than ever. Orwell’s predictions were so spot on that it almost seems like it was used as some type of accidental instruction manual for would-be tyrants.

In the world of Nineteen Eighty-Four, there is an all-encompassing surveillance state that keeps a watchful eye on everyone, in search of possible rebels and points of resistance. Censorship is the norm in this world, and is so extreme that individuals can become “unpersons” who are essentially deleted from society because their ideas were considered dangerous by the establishment. This is an idea that is very familiar to activists and independent journalists who are being removed from the public conversation for speaking out about government and corporate corruption on social media."

WilliamCharles 8 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like that book and also read his Animal Farm for one of my junior high school book reports!

Animal Farm moved me as a kid. I cried when they shipped Boxer to the glue factory.

not just the surveillance state but we can see the permanent state of war developing daily.
we've had Oceanna for a long time; and now trump is causing Eurasia to solidify & then there will be Eastasia. just as Orwell predicted.

Who knew we would be willingly keeping little spying machines in our pockets and even paying $500-$1000 for the convenience. I think of the book 1984 every time I see the traffic cameras at the intersections, but it goes so much deeper and more covert than that, and we cease to care due to the convenience and entertainment value of these little screens and cameras everywhere. George Orwell surely had a view into the future, but was a few years off is all.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:346191
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.