Agnostic.com

7 1

Atheism VS Nihilism

I’ve just recent learned about nihilism. Do you prefer atheism over nihilism? Feel they are so similar they are mostly one in the same?

Sarabobeara138 5 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nihilism....the rejection of all religious and moral principles, in the belief that life is meaningless.
synonyms negativity, cynicism, pessimism
Atheists are happy people enjoying life knowing we are free of all the religious constraints.

I could not support the idea of having no moral principles or thinking that the world has no meaning at all. Cynicism and skepticism have their place of course, but not as my personal life goals. I would not put atheism and nihilism in the same category...they are not 'one in the same' to me at all.

Our Atheism is merely ancient Greek materialism and is unrelated to nihilism ....one is science observed evidence examined and the other is merely a skeptical hedonism

I prefer no "isms", which imply a philosophical classification. I am an "atheist", I do not study its philosophy, as there is none.
Religion has philosophy. Science used to be called "natural philodophy" until it was realised that, unlike alchemy, it wasn't based on musings.

Nihilism has nothing to do with atheism!

Orbit Level 7 May 15, 2019

Please help me understand. What I’ve read made me feel like it was “along the same” thought process.

I had not heard of Nihilism until i read your post, so I looked it up.I might sound crazy here, or maybe I don't truly understand Nihilism, but it sounds like someone who is deeply depressed or suicidal.

This may help, I personally try to avoid label's. Which is better I guess its a person's choice.They are not the same.
Morality or lack thereof seems to me to be part of the process. What is right or what is wrong, Is this a concept that exsists? What is the meaning of life?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:347343
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.