Agnostic.com

5 6

The GOP is on the road to mass lockups for women who have miscarriages

"During Mike Pence’s first year as governor of Indiana, his state put a young woman in prison for having a miscarriage, alleging that she’d taken an abortion-causing drug. Purvi Patel didn’t have a trace of such a drug in her system, but Pence’s state sentenced her to 20 years in prison anyway.

"These cases have exploded in recent years, as the GOP and the nation’s law enforcement system have embraced the American “Christian” version of fundamentalist Islamic law which dictates that women are the property of men and their principal purpose for existence is reproduction.

"Given that one out of four pregnancies ends in miscarriage, laws like Georgia’s and Alabama’s may well require a substantial addition to our police systems."

Thom Hartman

[commondreams.org]

LiterateHiker 9 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

women should just pack up and do a mass exodous from all those states

Easy to say NOT easy to do. These are very poor states and I am consistently stunned at peoples lack of understanding that poor people don't want to move away from and risk becoming homeless, being victimised by strangers, etc to avoid a potential problem. "Just leave" is not a democratic answer to social problems. "Just vote your shitty lawmakers" out is among other options.

Oh I totally agree with you,but it is just the thought of what it would do if it did happen which i know it will never happen

Thom is spot on with this.

There's gonna be a lot of lawsuits...

I cannot wait until everyone is in prison and we work for free to make the rich richer. They still will not be happy but what do you do?

Horrendous evangelical Christians Assholes

bobwjr Level 10 May 17, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:348373
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.