Agnostic.com

10 12

Here's What Eating Processed Foods for Two Weeks Does to Your Body

Time Magazine - Health

MAY 16, 2019

Ultra-processed foods—the kinds made irresistible by sugar, fat and salt—are ubiquitous in the U.S., making up as much as 60% of the average American diet. But a small, intensive new study published in the journal Cell Metabolism shows that their low price and convenience comes at a cost to health.

Increased Weight, Body Fat and Cancer

When people ate a highly processed diet for two weeks, they consumed far more calories and gained more weight and body fat than they did when they ate a less processed diet—even though both diets had the same amounts of nutrients like sugar, fat and sodium.

It wasn’t a shock to find ultra-processed foods weren’t healthy—other research has linked them to a higher risk of cancer and obesity. What was unexpected was that sugar, fat and salt didn’t seem to be what was driving people to overeat.

“I was surprised by the results,” says Kevin Hall, lead author of the study and senior investigator at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases at the National Institutes of Health. “It’s the first trial that can actually demonstrate that there is a causal relationship between something about ultra-processed foods—independent of those nutrients—that cause people to overeat and gain weight.”

In the study, 20 healthy adults lived for a month in a lab, where all of their meals and snacks were prepared for them. The two meal plans were either highly processed or unprocessed, and everyone ate one—then switched to the other—for two weeks at a time. (Foods like canned ravioli, chicken nuggets, bagels and diet lemonade comprised the ultra-processed diet; the unprocessed diet had salads, scrambled eggs, oatmeal and nuts.)

500 More Calories a Day

Both diets contained nearly identical nutrient profiles, with the same amount of sugar, fat, sodium, fiber and more. But the meals had very different effects. When people ate a highly processed diet, they ate about 500 more calories per day than they did on the less-processed diet. They also gained about two pounds over the course of two weeks on the ultra-processed diet—and lost about the same amount on the unprocessed diet.

They ate faster, too, which could be one reason why they gained more weight. “Ultra-processed food tends to be softer, which makes it easier to chew and swallow,” Hall says. “One of the theories is that if you’re eating more quickly, you’re not giving your gut enough time to signal to your brain that you’ve had enough calories and that you’re full and to stop eating. By the time the brain gets that signal, it’s too late—you’ve already overeaten.”

Hormone Changes

People’s hormones also changed depending on how processed their meals were. Even though people said they felt equally full and satisfied on both diets, the unprocessed diet led to an increase in an appetite-suppressing hormone called PYY and a decrease in the hunger hormone ghrelin. “Both of these hormonal changes that took place, for reasons we don’t fully understand, tend to support our observation,” Hall says.

With whole foods, people lose weight without trying

On an unprocessed diet, “people spontaneously reduce their calorie intake, leading to weight loss and body fat loss, without them having to count calories or even intentionally do so.”

Avoiding ultra-processed food isn’t easy, especially financially. In the study, the ingredients for the unprocessed meals cost about 40% more than for the ultra-processed foods, Hall says. But the study provides the latest proof that cutting down on processed foods may be worth the extra price and effort.

LiterateHiker 9 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seems to be a mistake in the last paragraph heading, which says ultra processed food costs 40% MORE. I'm guessing that it should read LESS.

In any case, I tend to agree with the article. I have never heard of the hormone changes the different diets create. I'll want to do more research on the PYY and ghrelin the article mentions.

I agree with the theory that eating foods that take longer to chew and digest is a good way to keep from over eating.

I'd say my normal diet is about 90% unprocessed foods. Always room for improvement. My weakness is pizza, bread or crackers occasionally.

I disagree with some of the comments by members who claim items labeled organic or non-gmo are any different in nutrition and health benefits than those without the label. For example, there is no gmo wheat on the market at this time. Crops grown organically are not pesticide free, as many would like to believe. The pesticides are merely organic.

To those who believe organic is better, eat as you wish, but please don't spread misinformation and fear regarding non-existent crops.

This study didn't mention whether either the processed and unprocessed diet included organically grown ingredients or not, likely as that woudn't matter in the outcome. There are plenty of ultra processed foods labeled "organic" on the shelves of the supermarkets.

@Julie808

Thanks. My mistake. I'll fix it.

One time, I wanted to put on some weight. So I ate only fast food for 30 days, 3-4 meals a day. Over the 30 days, I noticed I was losing weight.. so I stuck with it out of curiosity. By the end of the 30 days, I lost about 20 lbs.

Anyway, I try to eat well.. but it's gotten harder since I started driving for work. Been look at eating one of those meal shakes like Huel while I am driving.

Foods like canned ravioli, chicken nuggets, bagels and diet lemonade.

Not only was this processed, it was loaded with GMO wheat by Monsanto so contained Roundup residues;so wheat three times and then diet lemonade, probably sweetened with aspartame, so poison Roundup and aspartame and gluten/lectins from wheat, so, of course the one was healthier or less unhealthy.

Big food makes us sick. Big pharma medicates us. Big medicine manages the interface. When people are old and the ill effects really kick in, government, that is taxpayers, pay for it through Medicare and Medicaid. Follow the money......

Sugar is bad even thought we have an absolute need for glucose. The sucrose that we eat in candy and what is added to our food is a disacaride consisting of one glucose and one fructose molecule. It is the fructose that gets us fat and helps to make us unhealthy. It is better to get glucose from complex carbohydrates such as is found in grains, potato and other plants. Don't eat more calories than you need and get some physical exercise on a regular basis.

This inspired me to chop up more vegetables for my salad.

Yeah real poison

bobwjr Level 10 May 17, 2019

You know, I don't know about this. I guess everybody's different. I've always been a fan of whole foods and vegetarianism, yet have a huge hormone imbalance which has lead to many health issues for most of my life. I know it's better to try to have the most natural diet available but our world is so polluted, I'm not sure there is such a thing a clean food. It's sad.

Bagels bad?
A cynic would day the salad diet tastes so bad no one wants much of it.

Well, damn. I expected to find out that what I usually eat is on the "bad" list.
I eat healthier than I thought.
Yay, me!
LOL

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:348444
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.