Agnostic.com

3 1

Pain and Omniscience

Why is it always part of "God's plan" when awful things happen? Like, I have a potentially permanent crippling back injury and that is every religious person's first response. My reply has been that then his plan sucked because I had plans too. What do you respond with that isn't disrespectful when this is said to you in awful situations where this sounds tone deaf and even callous?

kaitlily1973 2 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

response....."is it god's plan for you to be such an idiot?"

I live with permanent disabling nerve damage from a spinal injury. No one has said that to me though. Here’s to pain! And survival. Yes, those are my legs.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that the comment was probably meant to give you comfort. It's a kindness they were trying to do but it was lost in translation. There is another saying that has a similar in meaning that you might like better and it goes: if there is a cure for what ailes you then there is no need to worry. If there isn't a cure then there is no use in worrying. Point being that having a mind at rest is important to wellness. It does no good holding on to anger and resentment. That only contributes to feeling worse.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34884
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.