Agnostic.com

9 3

QUESTION Why Is Overt Christian Proselytizing Allowed on the Floor of Congress? - TheHumanist.com

Rep. Noem said in her speech, concluding, “I pray that we’re being servants for God’s good that we allow him to light our path. We humble ourselves enough to build our house on his firm biblical foundation. In this day, whatever we do, we do to the glory of God.”

So, she’s saying the government should do God’s bidding? Thomas Jefferson, for one, would spin in his grave.

How does this respect atheists, agnostics, humanists, Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, and other folks of non-Christian faiths and philosophical inclinations who also populate our body politic? This display of religious proselytizing tells non-Christian and nontheistic others that their elected congressional leaders—91 percent of whom are Christian—believe and officially proclaim that Christianity is best for all Americans and what we should all embrace. This kind of dreamy-eyed majoritarian coercion is exactly—exactly—what our deist founding fathers feared.

“It will never be pretended that any person employed in [US government] service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of heaven,” second US President John Adams wrote in A Defense of the Constitutions of the Government of the United States 1787-1788. “It will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses.”

zblaze 7 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People like this simply don't understand how a secular democratic republic functions. Also, they are arrogant enough to think they know what's best for everyone, even those who don't believe as they do.

But then evangelicals were never very good at epistemological humility -- or at epistomology in general.

With that logic we should remove her from office, not allow her to vote and bring back slavery.

I was gonna say that, but you said it first. Yay!

I hope the Flying Spagehtti Monster touches them and gives them the wisdom of the Pirates 🙂

They will be touched by FSM's Noodly Appendage and will repent of their bigotry.

You are lucky , we have 26 bishops in the house of lords by right. , so no matter what I do , these religious parasites infect my life .

Basically anything goes now, or had you not noticed?

Invoking God is not a new phenomenon on the floors of Congress, as each member knows how the positions taken and speeches uttered will play back at home. I was surprised to learn from Pew research that the first Congress (1789) had 6 ordained ministers (or 7%) in its body, and that we have 7 seated there now. And while she is not a member of the clergy, I view these efforts by people like Kristi Noem, and those who openly campaign on a platform of 'returning America to its Christian (or Judeo-Christian, if they're charitable) roots,' as a desperate attempt by a group who see their influence slipping away, as they realize that the United States is headed toward a path of greater pluralism.

Personally, I would encourage more people to read the Bible, but with a critical, if not jaundiced, eye. As a hero of mine, Robert Green Ingersoll, so eloquenlty encouraged: "Read it as you would any other book; think of it as you would of any other; get the bandage of reverence from your eyes; drive from your heart the phantom of fear; push from the throne of your brain the cowled form of superstition—then read the Holy Bible, and you will be amazed that you ever, for one moment, supposed a being of infinite wisdom, goodness and purity, to be the author of such ignornace, and of such attrocity."

That's a great one! Thanks pnullifidian.

For some silly reason, I think it has something to do with freedom of speech; even if it doesn't make sense, youcan say it?

Someday, we as a species, will look back on christianity much like we do today with the stories of greek or egyptian gods. As a interesting fable.

Because politicians are pandering hypocrites, who have no problem violating
the US Constitution.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35070
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.