Agnostic.com

2 0

LINK "I Apologize to No One" for Opposing Disastrous US Wars in Vietnam and Iraq, Says Bernie Sanders | Common Dreams News

"Following recent efforts by media outlets to paint a picture that his opposition to past U.S. wars—from the Vietnam War when he was a young man to voting against the 2003 invasion of Iraq as a member of Congress—was something he might want to apologize or account for, Bernie Sanders on Friday released a video on Friday to make clear why he opposed those "disastrous" military misadventures and will continue to fight against similar follies in the future.

"I make no apologies to anybody, that when I was a young man—before I was elected to anything—I opposed the war in Vietnam," says Sanders, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate, in the less than two-minute video. "And I know what that war did to my generation. And when I was a member of the House, I helped lead the effort against the war in Iraq, because I knew that Cheney and Bush and these other folks were lying about weapons of mass destruction."

The decision to invade Iraq in 2003, Sanders adds, was the "worst foreign policy blunder in the modern history of the United States.""

WilliamCharles 8 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I fought in Viet Nam and I'm sure it was a disaster. They sold the war to the American people as stopping communism. Well the country went communist anyway and guess what????? Being a communist country makes no difference to America. In fact you can buy Vietnamese goods in the Dollar Store. But the tragedy is that over 50,000 young Americans were killed in a useless war. Rich Capitalists got richer selling war materials and weapons. I still after 50 years get tears in my eyes when I remember those who needlessly died and were maimed.

The Vietnam vets I know share your sentiments.

Thanks...it is great to know you agree. @Bobby9

Thanks for your support...@WilliamCharles

He is an elected representative in a democratic society, therefore his representing opinions widely held by a significant section of that society is a good thing surely.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:351711
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.