Agnostic.com

19 3

How likely do you think it would be for an openly-atheist politician to be elected President?

wjwolfe 5 Sep 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nearly impossible. Atheists are one of the last groups that are discriminated against in America.

I doubt an out atheist would get elected currently, but looking at the number of millennials that are non-religious and the issues they care about, I could see it happening in the not to distant future.

We have probably had an under cover Atheist president already. Slim to no chance in this country for an out Atheist to get elected. There is far too much ignorance in the United States.

I think it will be possible, in the not too distant future. It would need to be a candidate who is a very good speaker, with enough very sensible programs, to achieve it.

I think we would have a openly LGBTQ president before we have an openly atheist president. Religion still plays a big part in elections as we saw in the last election.

Demographics would have to be a lot different. Idiots follow Trump only because he calls himself Christian.

Nope, not going to happen.

"Openly atheist" is the key to your question. In that case, not very likely.

President Bush was an outright evangelical. Either way, you could see the compassion when he spoke.

President Obama is/was a practicing Christian, at most. He referenced God in his speeches, but never really went out of his way to pronounce religious affiliation.

President Trump is a phony that played his base to think he was religious. He said that The Bible was his favorite book only followed by his own book. He failed hard and fell on his face when asked for his favorite expert from The Bible .

So it does look like any politician, running for President or otherwise, would need to latch onto religion in one way or another.

Not in our lifetime sadly... this country was founded on Christian principles that are too heavily instilled in our government and society through our money and the economy. It would be funny if one who didn't make any note of religious beliefs were elected and then once in office came out as agnostic or atheist. It would be a big step to separating the church and state of this country. We should allow people to believe and practice as they see fit because this is not a christian country but a country that's a melting pot of diversity where you can worship or not.

It surely will not be in our lifetime. Maybe one day if enough people finally open their eyes to the truth it may happen.

No chance whatsoever. Ehich is why they all claim to be religous. Even Trump

In the USA? Not likely at all, too much power from the rich religious backing.

Probably never. I suspect that President Obama was a closet agnostic,but he knew that admitting that would have been political suicide.

I can assure you that it will never, ever happen. This country is far to backward. It's hard enough to elect a woman, let alone an atheist!

The president, not for a long, long, long time. However, for the state senate where I live, perhaps sooner. IF the voters give me a chance.

I know atheist YouTuber Aron Ra is running for Texas senator. I don't have very high hopes for him winning.

wjwolfe:
Did he run for state senate? Or was it US Senate in Washington, DC.? I'll be running again next year for state senate.

I don't think it will happen in my lifetime (I'm 70 years old) but I hope at some time in the next 50-100 years. Yeah, I think it may just take that long. We have a very long way to go. I know of few elected politicians who are outspoken atheists but they are few and far between. I have seen a lot of changes in my life and generally, they are for the better but they just don't come easily or fast enough for my liking. We finally had a black POTUS. Someday we will have a white woman and a black woman President. LBGTQ are generally out of the closet. In fact, pretty much everyone is out of the closet except atheists. We are becoming more prevalent and more vocal but I know many people who cannot come out because they fear losing their jobs. That is so sad.

Not likely for now at least, but I am hopeful. We need the older more religious generations to die off and then we might have a chance.

I am 70 years old and most of the people in our group, FreeThought Fort Wayne, Inc. are in their 60's and 70's. We keep trying to recruit younger people but they want to meet people their own age who are datable. I understand but we are not a dating service. So, to your point, not all the baby boomers are bible beating Christians. That said, our hope lies in the young people and we try mightily to engage them and encourage them and I am certain that in the end reasonable, logical people will prevail.

When rational thought becomes commonplace

I don't see it happening during my lifetime.

i agree

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:352
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.