Agnostic.com

6 0

Alcoholics Anonymous

What's the groups feeling about AA and their approach in helping alcoholics. Is there a better and less expensive way?

alon 6 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It works if you're suited to it, but if you're not, change all your friends, get a therapist, and do it that way.

Orbit Level 7 May 29, 2019

i can't understand why ppl have so much trouble quitting alcohol..it's easy. i've done it many times.

The main objection most atheists have is the reference to "a higher power".

When I got my AA in Addiction studies, I ws taught tht "higher power" doesn't really fefer to god. It shoudl be whatever it is in your life that evokes enough feelings of love and caring, that when you think of it, you8 can overcome your desire to drink or use. For one person it may be theri child, for another it may be a motorcycle and yet another a kitten. It coudl even just be a hobby of woodworking. Whatever evokes those feelings that lets you overcome the desire to drink and/or use, is a stronger or "higher power".

The twelve steps are deasigned to lead a person to carign more and mroe for other people, helping other addicts overcome their own addictions.

AA's actual recovery record is in the single digits, so I have a dim view of them. That said I do have a friend that it's helped, but then also one who its failed miserably.

There are better alternatives.

1of5 Level 8 May 26, 2019

I am a member of Alcoholics Anonymous. My sobriety date is 1.28.2002. I am a recovered alcoholic and addict. I attend secular AA meetings (they do exist). I give credit to the program for helping me identify the problem. I did the 12 steps and gained insight, perspective, and personal responsibility needed to maintain sobriety. I continue to attend meetings and sponsor other members. Some believe in the "higher power" concept and some do not. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. While I use the book Alcoholics Anonymous, I rely on the book Twelve Secular Steps by Bill W. I am curious about your question regarding a less expensive way to get sober. There is no fee for AA. Meetings pass a basket for a contribution to help with rent and coffee but that is never required. Anyone may attend meetings and never put a buck in the basket. Peace -- Sarah

I did not mean $$$$cost, but rather Secular cost.

www.smartrecovery.org

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:352238
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.