Agnostic.com

3 0

For those of you with 100% certainty that there are no gods, how did you come to this conclusion?

Ven 2 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First, one must define god to answer that question. As Isaac Asimov stated-"Any sufficiently advanced technology is inditinguisable from magic"- so if an advanced technology enabled an alien to appear from a cloud with a booming voice declaring itself god, would not millions consider it god?

I am "only" 99.99% certain based on preponderance of evidence. Absolute knowledge isn't necessary to draw useful conclusions. It's a false canard that 100% certainty is either needed or possible in any question, not just this one. There is no such thing as totally objectively proven facts. There's always wiggle room for uncertainty. I'm not 100% certain I couldn't survive driving 130 miles per hour through my neighborhood while drunk but that doesn't mean I'm going to try it.

The problem with theism isn't that we can't be sure there's no god. It's that there's zero valid evidence that there are any gods, and their fabulist claims set an even higher bar to being given credence than most garden-variety truth claims.

We know, beyond reasonable doubt, that there is no such thing as a soul and that the mind is an emergent property of brains.

@Ven are you 100% certain that Santa Claus does not exist?

@Ven You say being 100% certain is impossible. That is not a demonstrated statement, as you acknowledge. But you also recognize that you may qualify certainty. I think we can agree that this is rather confusing.

Let me try it this way: in a theory (established knowledge) there is a minimal set of facts which we can trust 100%. For instance, take General Relativity: we can be 100% certain that, given the presence of macroscopic mass, gravity will be present as an emergent property of matter. That certainty does not take faith, do you agree? If so, we have demonstrated that 100% certainty is warranted in certain scenarios.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.