Agnostic.com

4 0

Coming Out as an Atheist

If you are an atheist and you are out of the closet, what precipitated your decision to come out and how do you feel about it now that you are out?

KLMFTFW 5 Sep 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I grew up rather than coming out. Feel great. No reason to pretend to believe in things I don't. Life is too short.

Yes!

I don't know that I had a "coming out". I just started telling people I was an atheist during casual conversation and it snowballed from that. Honestly I haven't had much resistance to it which surprised me.

Prior to my actual coming out, I was very selective as to who I told. I don't know your age but when I was beginning my journey as an atheist, I knew NO ONE who was an atheist. I'm sure there were some but no one talked about it because it was so risky.

I am glad for you that you encountered no problems when you told people. I like toi think that humans are becoming more tolerant, if not supportive, of other views than their own.

I probably should be the one to answer this because I've been an atheist since I was a child. In elementary school whenever the subject of what religion are you came up I always said I'm an atheist. One of my best friends growing up was Catholic, and he never seemed to mind until we got in high school and then over time, I became, "That Atheist kid." At the time I really hated him for turning on me but now looking back on it, I don't blame him, his indoctrination finally sets in, and I must have seemed evil to him. I haven't seen him in over 25 years, but I heard he became a very successful chemist for some large corporation. I hope his science education broke him of his indoctrination.

Thank you for responding. I wish I had known as a child what I came to understand in my early 20's. Even then, I didn't have the courage to go public until I retired a couple of years ago and it was very liberating. Now, I am the treasurer of FreeThought Fort Wayne, Inc. and I love what we are doing as atheists and humanitarians in our community. I like the AHA motto of "good without a god" and that's what we do in our group. It's not easy as we are in Indiana, the bible belt of the north. That's OK, we carry on and hope for the best.

I'm glad you understood your friend's actions as a high schooler. I hope too that as a chemist he eventually understood the logic and reason always win the day. At the 2016 AHA conference, I heard a stat stating that when people were asked to rate atheists they considered them one level above pedophiles. They also mentioned that nations who were very religious (think USA) are very dysfunctional compared to nations (generally Scandinavian) that have more atheists and foster free thinking. The USA has a very long way to go.

I came out at the same time I acknowledged to myself that I was an Atheist I was never in the closet. I left religion at 15 and realized I was an Atheist at 22 and I have never looked back.

I acknowledged I was an atheist at about the same age as you were. Unfortunately, in the late 60's, the climate was very different from what it is these days and I was overcoming an abusive childhood so I lacked the courage to be upfront about my views. I feel like I wasted a lot of years pretending to be someone I wasn't. It felt like my life was a lie--which it was. These days I am very forthcoming and it is very liberating.

Yes, the USA have a very long way to go.
Some European leaders are out of the closet.
Things are change a lot every day. Not all Christians looking at us the way have in the past.
not that I care, very much, about their opinion.

KLMFTFW I hear you I was fortunate to come out in 94 and had a very supportive family so I understand how luck I was in that regard. We all have a different story in some ways and even today there are people who dare not be open even in the US and in some other countries it is still a death sentence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:356
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.