Agnostic.com

5 0

LINK What David French and Sohrab Ahmari Each Got Right - The Atlantic

“The Christian understanding of reason, faith, and how the world is created to be is the best guard against the totalitarianism, whether liberal or religious, that is invited by a monistic view of reality … This gives the Christian confidence that he can enter into conversation with the non-Christian … The Christian therefore tries in various ways to enter into the reason and language of non-Christians in order to help reorder them to truth.” GTFOH!!! This is a powerfully good read.

IAJO163 8 June 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The usual convoluted ramblings about left, right and center when, in the end, it boils down to the age old idea of who gets the spoils or resources. Since the beginning of time tribes have fought over the available resources, land, food, mates and on and on. The usual tactic is to splinter into sub-groups and battle and belittle other groups and then go to war over who is the righteous and deserving of what's there. Problem is, especially with religion and Christianity is there are thousands of sub-tribes and once they battle one tribe another will come along. Now it is conservatives versus liberals then it will be who is the most conservatives of all and on and on until no one or anything is left to fight over. I once saw a bumper sticker that read "Obama may be Christian but he is not Christian enough." Liberals have the same problem and as our population rises to unmanageable levels and the natural resources become scarce no ideology is immune. It is said that at one time the Pyramids were covered in white marble and the peaks with gold. When the Nile failed to flood and crops failed people robbed the Pyramids inside and outside and even ate their own babies.

Interesting concept.

@IAJO163 Unfortunately, this is reality. Too often we don't make our own history but succumb to the situations at hand.

@JackPedigo Agreed. I'm along this philosophy also. It is very tough getting people to realize it.

Religious vs. secular wrangling bores me.The only thing of much interest to me in the article is the very first sentence:

“A story commonly told these days on both the left and the right says that American Christians, and especially evangelicals, are solidly behind President Donald Trump. The real story is far more complex, and has led many Christians to some fairly serious soul-searching, and others to ask hard questions about whether we even know what an “evangelical” is.”

A whole book has been written about so-called evangelicals, and it sounds promising.
[yalebooks.yale.edu]

The word “evangelical” is being thrown around carelessly and ceaselessly these days. Maybe I’ll read that book and report back.

David French...the only one I know of is the one who wrote the play "Of the Fields Lately"

...and my brother in law!

i'll take a look

I subscribe to this periodical. Now there are even additional reports! Where does one get the time? I have copied it and will read it (it's not too long). Thanks

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:356046
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.