Agnostic.com

1 0

Is debate dying?

Is there a way to more unify those politically and spiritually? Seems liked recent generations we’ve devolved to favor convenience more than anything.

We’ve become a culture of “Shoot first, ask questions later” figuratively and literally. It’s not only a problem in our criminal justice system, but often the worst is always assumed when it comes to media and communication.

We become accustomed to denigrate and besmirch those who don’t have the same opinion to the point we openly slander and libel anybody we don’t know. We’re also used to tapping into the primal emotions just to elicit a cheap reaction.

We belittle experience because many of us see ourselves as superior and enlightened becoming smug in the process. Whatever happened to listening and educating from one another and trying to understand how he/she even gets there?

Yes, America elected Donald Trump as president, but this is also the same country that elected Barack Obama. Are there any “better angels” left to have any realistic civil discourse left in this country?

Are we really no better than the contrived jargon of those we speak ill of? Does anybody make any conscious effort for empathy anymore? I rather make a friend out of an enemy than to rile an enemy up and keep repeating the same cycles over and over again.

Vipyr82 7 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Civil discourse is not really dead, just taking a siesta. There is discourse in our government system from time to time and within our universities. However, you are correct to say that we have become a "shoot first" society (in more than one way). What we have forgotten is the art of listening. I used to teach Communications and would tell my civil discourse students that they need to learn how to actively listen to the statements madde by others, not only to discover the faults, but to better understand the other person's logic pattern.

Agree with your phrasing 'taking a siesta' but, I'd add this is true even at many universities which are now so belligerently left-leaning that they appear increasingly intolerant to civil discourse. A shame for higher education and an abuse of power and influence by the intellectual 'elite'.

@crazycurlz It is more the students than the universities. A recent study by MSNBC showed that 60%or college students want freedom of speech unless it is contrary to their point of view.

@SageDave didn't realize this, thanks for the clarification.

Off topic: Can you tell me what it means to be 'tagged' on this site?

@crazycurlz It just makes it easier to recognize that someone is writing directly to you.

@SageDave thank you. 🙂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35657
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.