Agnostic.com

4 1

Jared Kushner - Palestinians Governing Themselves

Do you feel that Kushner (or anyone) making a similar statement regarding the people generally seen as abusing the Palestinians would not draw widespread condemnation before they were fired?

Would you consider it "good governing" to conduct the occupation outside the boundaries using snipers to murder and maim?

:-----:

From Kushner's Axios interview (Bloomberg excerpt)

"Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner said in an interview that the Palestinians aren’t yet able to govern themselves and declined to promise them an independent state in the White House’s long-awaited Mideast peace plan.

“The hope is that they over time will become capable of governing,” Kushner said in an interview with Axios on HBO that aired on Sunday."

WilliamCharles 8 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"When Kushner says Palestinians are not ready “to govern themselves”, he is really calling upon their hasbara carefully-manufactured image as terrorists. Given Palestinian history of denial and desperation, they are not to be trusted, he is saying. They have yet to accept “civilized” behavior — i.e., mask their rage and pain — and reject “uncivilized behavior.”

Kushner’s statements are so outrageous, I hardly know where to begin to address them. Let me start almost exactly a hundred years ago when the Turks lost Palestine in 1918 and their rule was replaced by a “British Mandate”, an agreement between the Allied Powers in 1923, which also incorporated the ambiguous terms of the Balfour Declaration of 1917. Ever since then, Palestinian Arabs understood that the phrase “Jewish national home” with its religious connotations in the Declaration was merely a euphemism for a Jewish settler-colonial state and that ‘article 2’ of the Mandate, with its reference to “self-governing institutions”, was a fraud."

[medium.com]

Take up the White Man’s burden —
Send forth the best ye breed —
Go bind your sons to exile
To serve your captives’ need;
To wait in heavy harness,
On fluttered folk and wild —
Your new-caught, sullen peoples,
Half-devil and half-child.

— from The White Man’s Burden — The United States and the Philippine Islands by Rudyard Kipling, 1899

:-----:

A Palestinian response to Jared Kushner’s racist remarks
Opinion Haidar Eid on June 5, 2019

[mondoweiss.net]

By all means Palestinians need adult supervision.

zesty Level 7 June 4, 2019

They had a thriving society pre-partition.

Oldest argument. Used in South Africa. Used to free slaves throughout time. The right to vote of women, etc. Those in charge not willing to free others say: not ready. I'll say this, with some confidence, he sure isn't ready to be a fair negotiator.

I really like your expanding on other applications of the tactic, and the rest of your assessment is spot on.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:356698
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.