Agnostic.com

1 0

LINK Ammo sales rise in California ahead of new gun law - AOL News

This is one of the best methods of getting around the 2nd amendment. You have the right to bear arms but it doesn't say anything about ammo. Restrict the ammunition and the gun becomes useless. I've been an advocate for this for some time. At last someone is listening!

IAJO163 8 June 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You didn't actually read this law, did you? Neither, I suspect, did those who are stockpiling ammunition.

[laxammooc.com]

The exact same phenomenon took place in 2008 as soon as Barack Obama was elected, as idiots who knew nothing about the law or the Constitution took heed of hysteria fanned by the NRA and talk radio hosts that the new, ultra-liberal President would, with a stroke of his pen, sign executive orders making it illegal to move ammunition across state lines or restricting how much one could buy at a time or even putting a special tax on ammunition, so that one round would cost 5 dollars... and they created the very shortage they feared. It was two years before even .22 ammunition was readily available on a store shelf.

The fact is, absolutely nothing will change in California, except that, in addition to a background check to purchase a gun (which is carried out instantly through the DoJ), buyers will have to submit their documents when they buy ammunition, beginning in July. There is no restriction on how much ammo a person can buy. The only restriction is that they must pass the check, meaning they aren't a convicted felon, not under a court order, haven't been involuntarily committed to mental care... and all these answers rely on the person responding truthfully. The system is still vulnerable to liars. (That's assuming they aren't flagged in the system, which we've seen is notorious for people failing to enter the data correctly.)

Currently it is illegal to retain purchase records for the purpose of tracking who buys how many guns. Presumably, under federal law, the same applies to ammunition purchasing. It's nobody's damn business if someone who is law-abiding wants to buy 1000 rounds of ammunition to shoot on their weekends. That could easily be a month worth of shooting if that's what the person does for fun. Who is California- who is ANYBODY- to say, "You bought too much, you have to come in every Saturday, get your 5 boxes that day, and then come back again next week"?

This is not a nation where we micromanage our citizens. If a person is over 21, obeys the law, and is making a legal purchase, pardon me for asking, whose fucking business is that?

To be absolutely clear- this is not a restriction on ammunition purchasing. It's a background check and nothing more.

@SeaGreenEyez
I did not say the bill was anything to do with President Obama. I am discussing the reaction to it.

What I said was, "The ammunition stockpiling craze", the subject of the OP link, also happened in reaction to Obama's election, and for the same reason. Irrational gun owners on the far right bought into a myth that ammunition was about to be restricted or banned. It did not happen then; it is not happening now.

Unlicensed dealers are already forbidden from selling ammunition. I don't see how this changes anything.

Online sales are interstate commerce and therefore a federal matter. This will run afoul of the Constitution, as it should.

Nobody in this discussion is out to kill anyone. I am pointing out that requiring background checks for ammunition purchases is not going to change anything, despite the hopes of one side and the fears of the other.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:359507
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.