Agnostic.com

3 0

I'm currently 'unattached'. My previous gf is a Catholic, which wasn't a deal breaker, at least at the time.

We broke up for non-religious reasons.

I'm determined to be unattached unless I'm attracted to a like-minded individual.

I'm pretty confident that this will be a good start.

My question, for my fellow heathens is this:

How important is it for you that your partner be 'like minded' in this regard?

CowboySteel 4 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd say at this point in my life, it's very important. My wife died of cancer seven years ago, and during the last year of her life, she went back to the Catholic church. Previously, we had both been secular humanists and Buddhists to one degree or another. I do not wish to repeat the agonizing discussions of belief in an afterlife that we had during that time. It hurt her that I didn't believe we'd see each other again, but I wasn't going to lie, either. She was an intelligent woman, and she would have seen through it. I fear, however, that here in the mid-South, there aren't many women in my age bracket who have similar (non)beliefs as my own, so like you, I'm preparing to spend the rest of my life alone.

Yeah, finding a partner of like mind is not something I 'hope' for. I'm content being 'alone', and it's that contentment I nurture. Carefully.

Your experience is something I know I am not strong enough for. Kudos.

I'd be OK with an Easter/Christmas level churchgoer, but if they're judging me for not believing what they do (and those who go more often can hardly help themselves), that's a dealbreaker.

There are so many people out there, don't settle for someone who judges you or looks down on you. If they sneer at your beliefs, they're never going to be a barrel of laughs. Move on!

Not very I walked that path till I found my husband

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3597
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.