Agnostic.com

5 2

Reaction to Atheism

How did your family and the other people who know you react when they learned of your agnosticism/atheism?

kristenm783 4 Sep 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most of the people I knew when I ultimately decided to transition from Christian to Agnostic knew me pretty well and were not surprised. The exception to this was some of my extended family, who happen to be devoutly religious. My father is a Christian pastor and, to his great credit, responded admirably. He actually started calling me for advice on his beer and wine choices since "we can't talk about church any more." My aunt and uncle were less supportive and that lack of support seems to fall in line with their political views as well.
I've begun to believe that the reason the religious-right exists is not because liberals are any less religious but that the right encourages any religious intolerance that might be born from those beliefs (even in cases where that intolerance is in direct opposition to the teachings of that faith).

My mother regurgitated a hoax believed by a church pastor (laminin), though this was weeks afterword.

My best friend was very accepting, my family was not so much. They still talk to me and all, but they say how sad it makes them and they just cannot grasp it at all. I try to respectfully explain my decision but they just cannot let go of the threat of disbelief.

Before I told my family I thought they would disown me, but after I told them they just ignored it and said I was confused.

The people who are my real friends didn't and don't care. A lot of the fake people I used to associate with weren't particularly found of my lack of belief.

Not surprised. I've grown more curious and inquisitive with time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:361
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.