Agnostic.com

2 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So you think cats are more agile than humans? Have you ever seen a cat stand on one leg?

Petter Level 9 June 15, 2019

Agility is the ability to move quickly and efficiently...so yeah, I think cats are more agile than most humans...balance on the other hand...I think we have it beat over cats...we can even "stand" on one hand...never saw a cat do that... lol

@ToolGuy I can stand on one leg and do a one handed push up...I am working on my handstand..I bet I can if I work at it! lol

@thinktwice A new challenge for the Kama Sutra, perhaps? 😜😜🤣😂

@Petter ha ha It benefits older people to stay flexible so as not to get hurt doing normal activities...but yes, I believe sex is one of those normal activities...and as many of the kama sutra as possible...ha ha ha

Interesting article. On a side note, so often humans ethnocentrically assume that humans are superior to other organisms because of our brain development. But evolution doesn't work that way. One organism is not superior to another. It isn't a competition for phylogenetic superiority of any one species.

Instead each organism is superior in its niche. Each organism had evolved those attributes that makes it supremely "fit" for the space in the habitat it occupies. When those attributes no longer serve to keep the organism supremely "fit" within its niche, that organism either adapts (through a number of evolutionary mechanisms) or goes extinct.

Simply because humans have been able to articially modify their environment to adapt to them, as opposed to the other way around, does not make our species automatically superior. In fact just the opposite. We are a much more fragile species then most. On top of that, we as a species have advanced to a state of "unfitness" that just might be spelling our demise in few generations.

*For those of you unfamiliar with evolutionary terminology and jargon, I have put quotes around the word "fit". This is perhaps one of the most important terms in evolutionary theory, as well as being one of the most misunderstood by the lay public. " Fitness " to ones environment is the one key element that determines whether a species continues on or goes extinct. It implies a positive compatibility and relationship with all of the aspects that the species interacts with and depends upon.

For generations, people have made reference to the "survival of the fittest". This has nothing to do with who eats who, or as in business who can consume the most competitors. Rather what it refers to is the most "fit", in utilizing its positive attributes to maintain its evolutionary viability. The Social Darwinists got it all wrong (eg. Trump and associates).

t1nick Level 8 June 15, 2019
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:361329
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.