Agnostic.com

9 0

Can you remember the moment you realized, the Bible was not what you were told it was?

Was their one defining moment you realized the Bible was not what you were told it was? Tell the story of that moment and how you felt.

carolmisme 5 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, Most of our band got arrested in Texas one morning, and the winos in the holding cell were using it as toilet paper. They got it right!

I was 8 and in fact I talk about it here.

It happened over a period of time. I was in my 30's when the blinders completely fell off and I walked away from Christianity and then I look back on myself and am ashamed because I was a bigot.

Not really. It was years ago, and it wasn't a moment as much as it was a gradual awakening. I read multiple versions of The Bible multiple times, and as I did so I eventually came to realize that "The Word of God" was more accurately described as one of the world's most popular works of fiction. That caused the remaining dominos to fall and atheism was the result.

How did I feel? When I came to the realization that I am, indeed, an atheist I felt liberated, but uncomfortable at the same time. The discomfort, which passed after a while, was due to my family's highly religious nature. To this day, family get togethers can be awkward. My parents are no longer alive, but my youngest sister is "born again," my older sister's husband and one of their daughters are ordained ministers, my eldest sister is deeply immersed in her faith and her church, and I have a son-in-law who is an ordained minister. As far as I know, I am the only atheist in my extended family, which makes me a bit of an outcast -- the "black sheep" if you will.

What is most telling is that I am also typically the first one to help out another family member in need, if I am able. I'm sorry, but saying, "I'm praying for you," to someone who is hungry doesn't fill that person's belly. Only food does that. To me, a promise to pray for someone is an insult -- like saying, "I'm not going to help you, but I'll ask my imaginary friend to help."

@carolmisme I was raised Lutheran, was sent to Sunday school, attended catechism -- the whole nine yards. I earned the nickname of "The Preacher" in grade school because I carried a copy of The Bible everywhere I went and would proselytize on the school bus. There was a significant gap in age between my elder sisters and me, so I was still young when my elder sister began dating the man who would eventually become her husband and a Moravian minister. As soon as they began dating, the family converted to Moravian.

The fact that the family tossed Lutheranisn like yesterday's news and adopted Moravianism just because my sister had done so when she started dating this dude, coupled with the fact that my parents were so suspicious of the "new," non-mainstream "-ism" (to this day I am not certain of the name) puzzled me. If Lutheranisn is the right way, then why did we change? If Lutheranisn is not the right way, how do we know Moravianism is the right way? How do we know my eldest sister's new way isn't the right way when she seems to think it is? They called it a cult, but it was based on worhip of the same God.

That's when a quest to better understand God began for me. I began reading the Bible in earnest and I began asking questions. Most of the questions that yielded very unsatisfying answers, such as:

"God is above logic and reason."
"We must not question such things."

and, of course, the standard

"The Lord works in mysterious ways."

Sometimes I would be scolded for asking a question, such as when I asked, "How do we know that Mary was a virgin?" The answer to that was, simply, "STEPHEN!!"

Christians can be so sensitive when someone begins asking questions! lol

That quest to better understand God that probably lasted about 5 years or so, and it ultimately led to atheism. That is not where I expected to end up, but when I arrived there the whole God thing finally made sense.

I always sensed that it was mythical nonsense, even as a child. My mother was fully immersed in this following and ingrained into the brethren church.I hated being forced to attend church services and I still remember it was the most boring hour of my lifetime. Logics was completely lost on her. I recall as a child asking her why she didn't put on some lipstick to look a little bit better, she replied " If god had meant me to have red lips he would have given me red lips " I replied, but mum, you get your hair curled, if god had meant you to have curly hair he would have given you curly hair. Her reply ? Don't be so rediculous ! Religeon and logical thinking go together like oil and water.

I always thought it was bullshit

Lol, nope, no recollection of that.

The first time I decided to read it,
I was 8, dyslexic and it wasn't easy.
I had heard all this stuff about the bible, God wrote it remember.

Not the exact moment. It just began dawning on me that it was so unbelievable. I still am amazed people buy into it. I don't think that they really think.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36213
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.