Agnostic.com

2 3

How compatible are analytic and holistic thinkers?

Do you consider yourself an analytic thinker or a holistic thinker? Are they opposites? (and) Have you ever had a really interesting conversation with someone who's thinking was at the other end of the specturm?

The two thinking styles defined:

"One of the most common distinctions in the literature on cognitive style is between analytic and holistic styles. Analytic thinking involves understanding a system by thinking about its parts and how they work together to produce larger-scale effects. Holistic thinking involves understanding a system by sensing its large-scale patterns and reacting to them."

Personally, I don't think that I fall into one or the other. I overthink, analizing the parts of a the whole (sometimes too much), but then I also find myself seeing the big picture and seeing connections all over the place. I know that literal thinking drives me a bit nuts, mostly because of my sense of humor, and I've had some challenging conversations because of it. But I've also had some really interesting conversations as well. So, what do you think?

Stacey48 8 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting. Can't they be compatible?

I could be wrong, because I'm only an internet poster, but I think I can think both. E.g. see an eventual outcome of a system as equally as see some of the details of the system. And I can find possible ways the system can be changed so that an intended outcome will be more likely than another. I think so, anyway.

I'm a programmer by profession. Coding is our main tool - understanding systems is required. But, by nature, programmers are problem solvers - big-picture thinking is required.

I think I am somewhere between the two in my thinking as well. I tend to analyze the parts in light of the whole and reacting to the whole big picture, if that makes any sense. I have been to several holistic thinking workshops I find I have a huge problem thinking that way.

@Stacey48 The idea that you must identify the assets and obstacles before addressing the the big issue or project is the first one that comes to mind, I tend to go at things head on.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36270
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.