Agnostic.com

6 4

Putting the Message of Christianity Into Perspective

It's both amazing and alarming how accepting and desensitized people are to the foundational message of Christianity.

(4 min)
VictoriaNotes 9 Nov 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I read somewhere that some humans are predisposed to believe in spirituality due to their genetic makeup

I havent read it yet but I heard Reza Aslan being interviewed and discussing research back to Neanderthals that shows behaviors directed toward higher pwoers

I think it boils down to "tradition". "This is the way my parents raised me, and I want my children to follow the same path", is how Christians might see it. The truth of it is our existence on this tiny "rock" in an enormous universe in which there are dangers around every corner, ie. disease, falls, etc., is riddled with anxiety and a large portion of the population of this planet seems to be wiling to believe almost anything in an attempt to feel in control.

The position that some parents have that their children can't have been born anything but sinners all but guarantees the beginning of their lives will be filled with brainwashing.
From infancy, the parent imposes what's been drilled into their own heads into their children.

Christening, Baptism, and for boys, the special delight of a circumcision.
Really?! Cutting the skin off of the end their son's penis is going to get him into heaven?

These rituals happen every day and no one blinks an eye.
If some other religion, or even a non-religion, practices their own way, Christians only see it as some sort of mumbo jumbo.

Scary, but so insightful.

It is indeed a sad commentary on our species as a whole. It is understandable how all this nonsense began, but it is inexcusable in light of our understanding of how the universe works and how the mind functions. However, there is a glimmer of sunshine showing through. More and more are managing to free themselves from the bonds of ancient superstitions and maybe one day we, as a species, will mature.

It definitely is amazing and alarming how some are absolutely mesmerized and agreeable to this. I'm absolutely speechless.

SamL Level 7 Nov 13, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3638
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.