Agnostic.com

5 2

QUESTION Pagan Atheists: Yes, we exist, by Stifyn Emrys | Humanistic Paganism

I didn't know that pagan atheists existed until this summer, and I imagine that this concept will annoy some folks on this site. I find it challenging myself. But because I have a number of pagan friends, I do see many commonalities between some atheists and some non-theist, non-magic-practicing pagans. At a certain point the difference is only in the extent of the use of metaphors and poetry. Of course, atheist pagans are a minority in both communities, but they are interesting, nonetheless.

vertrauen 7 Nov 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm definitely an atheist. I love nature and hold nature above humans in general (I don't worship nature, just revere the processes found in Natural Science). Therefore, does that make me Pagan atheist? Who woulda thunk it? 😁

Paganism, I have found, is the most validating of all Spiritual/Energetic/Scientific practice. One can see fast results and get a sense of being connected to all things, which is very calming and comforting - moreso than a regular 'religion/religious practice'. I look at all of it from a scientific standpoint, when one feels connected, one may wish for things, and have them come true. It takes some time though and we must be patient for the outcomes to manifest in the physical realm. I know that some people would dismiss this idea as simply achieving goals scribbled upon a piece of paper, or tasks completed, but if one is really paying attention, we are creating those outcomes on our own, with our own thoughts, and the belief that we can create those outcomes. THAT is the essence of magic. The more we come to trust our own god-like innate nature as a creator/co-creator, then the faster that those outcomes may be perceived, and achieved. One may believe that they can create a storm, though it may take some time, weeks even, but with practice and steadfast belief, that storm would manifest within moments, instead of days, or weeks. This is real, and I have done it. But, within every new challenge practice is necessary to become a master of it. I feel that all religions exist as a very archaic attempt towards magic, and becoming a creator within ones own life. But, I believe the Mages over the centuries are made to look/appear like metaphors, myths, and lies, or children's stories, so that the masses will not dare to create upon their own; like keeping women from the office of the CEO/other, killing Witches, and not allowing them to drive in some countries. Women are more naturally inclined to tapping into the creator 'feelings' that are necessary in achieving magical outcomes, but Men are no slouches either, if they have the predilection, or desire to do so. In possible fact too, the Mage/Magician named Jesus could have been killed by the religious 'right' of the day, because he was empowering others to do magic as well. Christianity was created hundreds of years later by a Roman Emperor name Constantin, so that he could literally control the whole world (Roman Empire) and had very little or nothing to do with a guy doing magic that he learned in India, and Tibet. The Mage was popular, and effective, as well as had a lot of followers, so why not try to invent, and capitalize on building a 'religion' around him. Oh, and kill millions who will not conform to that story. All political religions kill non-believers off to gain control, so religion in of itself is not a proper venue to create magic, just a means to control the masses with the guise of creating magic. All effective Mages are mostly hiding and no one knows who or what they are - they are not on a stage trying to control others. All heroes who empower others are a threat to the powers that be.... even Merlin, the great Mage was supposedly destroyed by his darker enemy and counterpart due to jealousy and envy. These are just some musings that I have had over the years....

Issa Level 5 Dec 30, 2019

Ever heard of Pagan Theosophy?

Issa Level 5 Dec 30, 2019

Hey, whatever floats somebody's boat, ya know? As long as they aren't hurting anybody else, I don't have a problem with it 🙂

You can enjoy the traditions and rituals of paganism without believing the gods are necessarily gods or possessing any supernatural attributes. You can enjoy calling upon a deity even if you don't truly believe they will answer.

Humans love rituals, or we wouldn't have so many, and fight so much about which are the most valid. I prefer to believe in possibility, but I don't believe in any specific traditions, so when I encounter pagan rituals, I embrace them and participate to the best of my ability. Be Joyous! and Blessed Be.

Yes, I have an aesthetic appreciation for my friends' pagan rituals and find myself in synch with their awe of nature and desire for harmony with it. I get there a different way - and can't believe beyond the metaphor -, but still feel like we're arriving in much the same place, nevertheless. Blessed Be!

There has been a lot done within Chaos Magic that does not employ particular gods. Have you read anything on that?

@Issa I'm aware of that in a general way. Quite a few of my pagan friends are into chaos magic. But it's not just about believing in gods or not; there's also the question of believing in magic. I can engage in "willing suspension of disbelief" for short periods of time the same way that I can enjoy a theatrical production or a movie. Ritual is meaningful and important to me the same way that a work of fiction can be very important. But it is still fiction at the end of the day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3643
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.