Agnostic.com

1 0

QUESTION Religious 'nones' could shake up American politics — but many roadblocks stand in their way | Deseret News

However, secular activists in America are still a long way from that result, and they need to target their outreach better if they hope to get there, Campbell said. He estimates that only around one-third of the religiously unaffiliated are "actively secular" and able to be drawn into a recognizable voting bloc.

"We speak of the religious 'nones' or the unaffiliated population as though they're one large group," he said. "But there is a very clear divide within that population."

Actively secular Americans search for truth in philosophy or science, finding meaning in mostly nonreligious sources. Passively secular adults, on the other hand, aren't very concerned with life's big questions and may still cite the Bible as a source of inspiration, he added.

Two-thirds of unaffiliated Americans still believe in God and around 1 in 5 say this belief is a necessary part of being a moral person, according to Public Religion Research Institute.

zblaze 7 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would guess that a good percentage of religious nones are in transition. It took me years to really make the transition. I very seldom went to church but was looking until finally it was time to just admit the truth. I didn't believe. During that period I wasn't very political either so perhaps they go together and time will bring changes.

gearl Level 8 Mar 13, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36480
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.