Agnostic.com

14 1

Anyone Else?

Find it impossible to date after 55?

ponygecko 3 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you mean a traditional date. Not since the 80's, and that was once. Generally I meet someone, we run into each other socially, and we just sort of end up together. It is too awkward to go on a date with someone I haven't made some connection without a few conversations to establish more than a physical attraction.

Ha! I'm a decade short of that, and find it impossible!

miffy Level 5 Mar 16, 2018

I'm 54 and I kind of agree with that statement. I haven't tried it, but have you tried this site?

[ourtime.com]

Yes, I did try that site, and got absolutely no results. I’m done with straight dating sites. The men are damaged and desperate to get laid but can’t really, come from lots of relationship trauma and have little interest in the person across from them. It was sad and big time waste of time. Made me feel lonelier.

So much negativity people. What's that about. My wife decided 10 years ago she had enough of me. At first I thought "Oh, I must find another woman to live with". But after a while, I figured it out. Just date....when I want to....with whomever I want to. It's perfect. None of the banging heads that happens when you live together. See each other when you feel like it ...go out...see a movie, see a concert, go for a hike, have a few drinks....a few laughs...,make out....hop into bed....wtf....whats not good about it? I am 72 and I see no shortage of nice women who just want to enjoy. The post marriage years are a great opportunity. Get over the silly hangups about how old you are, or how old she is. You are in the same boat. So start paddling. Relax and have fun. Remember?...Fun?

Sounds like a boy of 17. I was never married, so banging heads is something I look forward to. Sorry you never got to do this when you were younger, but this is the classic profile of a perennial narcissist. Men have it different online than women. YOu can be old, ugly, stupid and still get women desperate enough to spend time with you. Not true for women. But you sound specifically like you’re simply reliving the carelessness of youth. Good for you. But not in the least what I’m looking for. I’m looking for someone to come home to and spend my years with. Someone who is there for me and for whom I am there. Not random dating. Done that all my life, and the superficiality of it is sad and lonely. Unless of course, you’re an asshole who only cares about himself. No disrespect, but this is boring to me.

Yes it is tough especially when you live outside the towns or cities.

Don't know about you but I'm questioning everything about dating. Do I want to be monogamous? Should I even date at all? Maybe it's better to be alone. If you figure something out maybe you could let me know. 🙂

Love this. I’m so glad you’re questioning. I haven’t figured anything out, but I sure will let you know if I do. For me there are many advantages to being single, but being alone is not one of them. As we age, the random social life we once had disappears. Everyone couples up and there’s often literally no one to do things with. The isolation can be very daunting. I just wish I had someone to talk to, most of the time. Coworkers aren’t enough. You need a homeboy or homegirl who’s got your back and for whom you can be that person. That’s what I seek.

@ponygecko Very well said. I'm looking for some kind of strong connection too but not sure I trust myself to go about it the right way at the moment. It can be hard finding someone with the emotional depth and honesty to trust even if I was ready.

I'm 54 and just started dating again after staying away from relationships for a very long time. The good thing is I'm not desperate and I know what I want now. If the right person doesn't show up, I've still got a pretty good life.

By age 55 everyone is carrying a train load of baggage. Just do what you can .

Have you been cleaning the litter box?

Fer reals! Not sure why you ask, but that’s a daily chore.

@ponygecko Many years ago I met a woman who was very attractive. She invited me to her home. The house had a bad "cat stink" which she obviously could not smell. I couldn't use the bathroom because of an overflowing litter box. I left and never went back. My point was that you may not realize that the cat odor is in your house, your car, and on your clothes. You may be having relationship problems because of the cat stink.

@nicknotes my mom is over at my house every week and would be sure to tell me if that were the case. Thanks for your concern, but I would also point out that it's your responsibility to tell her why you can't stand being in her house, if you care about the relationship and about her happiness apart from your own. So...Uh, no. Very few men even make it to my house, but I'm sure they would have told me if litter odor were a problem.

@ponygecko Sure I was generalizing....your cat may smell fine.

@nicknotes and frankly, I find this line of inquiry bizarre. I invite you to go prey on someone else.

@ponygecko Sure....

Dating after 55? No, not at all. I love meeting and engaging with women, but with that said getting attached and living with somebody is a whole other agenda.And seems less appealing as I get older.

Thanks for your honesty. I really like plain talk. I can understand that.

ok, thanks for that, just what I needed.
But now that you mention it, I have dated one woman since turning 55 and it was a total disaster.
Now I know my problem, I am over 55, noooooooooooooooooo.
hmmm
40s, no problem, things were different once I turned 50, dated a lot (for someone over 50) and found the ladies very nice. But that one, once I was over 55 was not a good experience.

I hear you, Rugglesby.

Yes its not easy but then again im starting to not be that bothered.

My attitude is that if something happens, fine. I'm not going to pursue the matter. I like being with someone, but at the same time I've found that being alone does not equal being lonely.

well said, in fact, you can be more lonely being with the wrong person.

I’m not at 50 yet but I find that I don’t like things about other people and feel I don’t have to tolerate them! Needless I don’t date much and when I do I can’t get them away from me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36660
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.