Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK Planned Obsolescence: How the Products You Buy are Designed to Break | The Unbounded Spirit

"In our economic system, which is based on cyclical consumption, technical efficiency is only damaging to the market efficiency — both cannot co-exist by any means. Increased technical efficiency decreases market efficiency, which is disrupting the flow of our economy.

But how stupid is it to keep on having such an economic system, knowing how technically inefficient it is as well as its tremendous negative impacts on society and the natural world? Instead of urging people to buy more and more, would it not be wiser to make use of our current scientific knowledge to create an economic system that is based on technical efficiency and environmental sustainability?

I would like to leave you now with these questions in mind, which will hopefully help you to realize how obsolete our economic system is and urge you to seek out information about how alternative economic systems can be implemented that would actually promote social and environmental well-being."

WilliamCharles 8 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i took a major appliance repair course & could keep old appliances (pre 1995) going forever. now appliances seem to be designed to last 10 yrs or so, & with the chips & motherboard, once an appliance needs repair most ppl will choose to replace it.

I fixed a washing machine once. Took apart the motor and found a broken, hard plastic cog. Went to a small appliances repair and parts shop. BTW, the washer was over 12 years old. They had the part and said it was almost always the part that went pfft. Usually in approximately 15 years it would break and no one would bother to take the motor apart (have to be careful keeping the oil contained). Imagine a metal cog, like the others.

It's painfully obvious everywhere you look, replace it with a new one doesn't matter what it is even if it can be repaired. I already have this go around with my wife over vacuum cleaners after all why buy one that is maintainable for years when you can just replace it every year with another cheap one.🙄

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:366884
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.