Agnostic.com

12 3

Good resources on learning evolution?

Wondering if there are books or websites that help me learn the theory of evolution. If any of you have any suggestions I would really like to know.

Tyrantmike 6 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’ve found this YouTube channel to be both well sourced and accessible:

an error occurred on play.

@Heraclitus 🤔 probably because I was trying to link to a list rather than just one video let’s try just one then:

If it exists something like Evolution For Dummies. The series is excellent as it demonstrates many complicated subjects very simply without being patronising.

Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show on Earth.

I actually read Charles Darwin's "The Origin opf Species" I was surprised at hwo sholarly it ws.
Even by today's standards it is still pretty scholarly, even though it is pretty obvious when he get things wrong. Mos tof what he got wrong seemed to be due to a lack of knowledge in geology and plate tetoics. His theory of "natural selection" was pretty much right on. Anyway, his book reads like a textbook. If you are nto actually interested in science, it probably will seem pretty dry.

It is really hard to point oa any one book or website, because evolution is so vast. Usually the focus is just on a specific species.

I read it also years ago.

I've notice that theists who cite "On the Origin of Species" do not always have the reading skills necessary to understand it. They can even read it aloud and not understand it. There was a dude on "The Atheist Experience" who called in and read the sentence or two where Darwin says the human eye seems to be inexplicable via this process.

So the hosts made him keep reading, and Darwin proceeds to explain how it evolution by natural selection does explain it. Then they asked the caller what that means.

He said he hadn't worked all that out yet. (That is, he didn't understand the words. His vocabulary and reading skills were just too low, and fellow believers just told him to read the sentence or two that was quote mined.)

Found it:

@greyeyed123 The creationist's ignorance is exceeded only by his intellectual dishonesty.

Try Richard Dawkins, especially 'The Blind Watchmaker' his sense of fun lightens every page.

Evolution for Dummies in Amazon.

Which is one book that I can read to understand evolution? [quora.com]

[fivebooks.com]
NATURE & ENVIRONMENT » EVOLUTION
The best books on Evolution
recommended by Jerry Coyne

Best Books On Evolution...
233 books — This list was created and voted on by Goodreads members.
The list is a compilation of all the good books dealing with Evolution. This does not however contain the pseudo-scientific books which argue against THE FACT OF EVOLUTION...
[goodreads.com]

t1nick Level 8 June 30, 2019

Richard Dawkins!

@kodimerlyn "The Greatest Show on Earth" is 15 bucks on Amazon. I might have paid 600 bucks for lunch with Hitchens. 300 for Dawkins? (As of 2012, his net worth was 135 million. That does seem a bit much, if accurate.)

Watch this and the following videos from this channel:

Dietl Level 7 June 30, 2019

I'm watching a Teaching Company DVD on The Darwinian Revolution. Almost a 1/4 of the way through it and ha e learned a lot.

BillF Level 7 June 30, 2019

I found books on epigenetics really fastenating and illuminating for psychology.

Try, On the origin of species by Charles Darwin that's a good place to start.

So start with the classics right?

@Tyrantmike In the age of millions of transistors in the simplest of devices it still started with vacuum tube theory.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:367570
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.