Agnostic.com

7 1

I could use some advice here...

I know that there are other educators around here. I've interacted with them. I am dealing with something disturbing at my school that's, for once, not related to the constant proselytizing I'm used to. One of my SPED students was conned by one of my general education students who has a long history of lying, cheating, and other poor behavior. The dean of students who is in charge of discipline in my district has shown this lying kid favoritism before, but this time he actually suggested that if I was going to fail her for borrowing and copying an intellectually disabled student's paper, that I was obligated to give the SPED student a zero as well for giving her the paper. I argued that the SPED student, who has an IQ of around 50, did not realize that she was asking him for his assignment to cheat, but thought that she was helping him by going over the paper for him. In that instance, I believe that the student who copied should get punished but the SPED student should get credit for his work.
I've noticed this dean tends to let the attractive girls in our school get away with a lot. I've had female students who are all around better students but a bit chunky or less than athletic get in school suspension for things this student has received no punishment at all for. Before the discussion was over today, I had informed my vice principal who I had a sit down talk with about the situation, that I don't think I'll be coming back next fall,and I am looking for other districts to apply to for fall 2018 this evening. I was tempted to quit over it right then and there, to be honest, but I don't want to leave my other students transitioning to a new teacher midyear.
To add to this situation, I have heard rumors all over this little town including from a friend who taught in this district for 24 years before she left last year, that the dean of students, who used to be our softball coach, but now is only a dean and baseball coach, not only has had inappropriate relationships with students in the past, but also that his current wife is a former softball player from when he coached softball. I am tempted to drop a complaint to the state department of education and the press about his behavior. I know it's risky to do so, but between him letting this one kid act like a sociopath with no consequences and this dirty rumor mill about his past behavior with female students, I'm concerned that he may still be having "Roy Moore" type moments with these kids. Knowing my livelihood is on the line here, what would you do about the situation?

MsOliver 7 Nov 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would go to the press on condition of anonymity. If the media outlet is legitimate they will have to do research and obtain corroboration which will increase the number of possible whistleblowers and help insulate you from retribution.
If the news cannot find sufficient cause to report then the state would be unlikely to act as well, giving you even more reason to remain quiet until you secure new employment.

I d try an anonymous letter to the school board.

Great tag line BTW. I worked as a middle school math & science teacher for about a decade. I quit two years ago, went back to school for a certificate in something I love, and got a new job....no manipulative kids, no DAS parents, no back-stabbing colleagues, no spineless administrators...I am so happy that even my hair is growing back in without the gray! Teaching sucks, get your ducks in order and move on! And I know, it's not easy.

Wow. I'm not an educator, so won't offer advice. It sounds like a very tough position to be in.

Report it..

I see 3 issues:

1. Cheating. Give both students a zero. There are creative ways of catching those cheaters if one invests some time in devising assignments that really challenge them. In this case, the SPED and Gen Ed students are not on the same cognitive level and so their assignments cannot be exactly the same. Idk the situation in your district, so I might be wrong.
  2. The Coach. You are a mandated reporter, I think. Consequently you must report ANY cases you are aware of. That said, I think a student needs to confide in you or you must make the discovery yourself to report it. Again, I may be wrong. In the event where it is not the above mentioned cases, I'll just stay put. He may seem to be "winning" like Trump, but like Russia, his own skeletons will surface one day.
  3. Quitting. Absolutely not. Hang around and be the source of discomfort until you find something else and then quit.

I am speaking from outside and have no idea about what you are going thru. My apologies if I sound insensitive. Don't forget to update us.

Wow! I can't offer any advice but you are seeing a fucked up situation as it is: fucked up
I hope you are able to make some headway with this

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3679
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.