Agnostic.com

4 2

LINK Enlightenment does not demand disenchantment with the world | Aeon Essays

Interesting article. I'll have to give it some thought.

Tomfoolery33 9 July 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not think that rejecting myth and fantasy precludes a "sense of wonder" or other forms of transcendence. When I dwelt in the fantasy realm of my religion of origin, it produced a faux transcendence, to be sure, but it could not withstand the intrusions of reality, either.

Excellent article. I’ve studied Adorno a bit, mostly Standardisation and his discussions on the media and consumerism.

Myth and enlightenment seem to be entry points to discovery as myth, in a sense is hypothesis and enlightenment the concluded remarks of the tested hypothesis.

In the context of magic and ideas speculated by the Theosophists, The Golden Dawn et al. there is a rich heritage which they draw upon.

I personally like Joseph Campbell's idea of mythology as a pre-modern psychology. Archetypes and images projected outward, instead of being understood as part of our minds.

@tnorman1236 I must say he was one of my boys as well. Quite enlightening.

@tnorman1236 Another one of the greats for me is Mircea Eliade, specifically The Sacred and The Profane

@Geoffrey51 I'll look into it. Thanks.

‘Enlightenment’ doesn’t demand anything!

They're not talking about that kind. They mean as in "The Enlightenment" in the late 17th and 18th centuries, which lead to our scientific age.

@tnorman1236 Apologies I read properly!

I guess that's a gnostic way of thinking. I like the idea of general enlightenment making the world a better place. I'm sure the gnostics would say that's not possible and history would seem to prove them right but still, maybe some day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:368297
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.