Agnostic.com

4 0

The perfect crockpot pot roast?

So one of my go-to family meals is throwing a slab of beef in the crockpot, setting it to low, and letting it cook for 9-10 hours. I then shred it, make a gravy out of the broth, add some veggies, and serve it over noodles or rice.

The last few times though, it was so tough and hard to shred that it took me forever. I don't really pay attention to what cut I get of chuck/rump roast, but I am looking for advice from anyone who is a better cook than me. I love it when the roast practically falls apart on me when I am trying to take it out of the crockpot. It's so tender and easy to shred, not tough and stringy. So any tips would be appreciated.

What cut should I be looking for? Any characteristics I should be looking for in the beef? Am I cooking it too long? Do I need to make a sacrifice to Andhrimnir to get it to come out perfect?

FatherOfNyx 7 July 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

a lazy way is to pick up a pot roast in a plastic bag from Costco, already cooked. just place in boiling water for 15 mins or so & you have a tender falling apart pot roast with gravy. a little more expensive but well worth it, imo.

When I roast a beastie, I stab it all over with a fork, which I find makes it juicier. Next, I smear minced garlic all over it. Then, I douse it with sage, thyme, and LOTS of rosemary. Then, I douse it with about half a bottle of Burgandy. Next, I adorn it with potatoes, onions, and carrots. And while it's cooking, beasty juices mix with the rosemary, and the red wine, to make the tastiest gravy you ever had! (This last, I learned by accident, the very first time I did this!).

Tough means not cooked long enough...sometimes just one more hour makes a Huge difference.

Try using something a little bit acidic in the liquid that you cook it in. Vinegar, lemon juice, a vinegar based dressing. Not a lot, just a little that it’ll break down the connective tissue in the meat while it cooks. Also, use a fattier piece of beef. Chuck roasts are usually what I get and they shred themselves as they cook.

I will try some lemon juice. I know it'll cook out, but I really can't stand the smell of vinegar.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:371845
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.