Agnostic.com

2 8

A magical day of hiking.

It was beautiful In the mountains. High filtered light with a cool breeze. Ninety degrees in town. Twenty degrees cooler in the mountains.

My friend Dan and I hiked above Squilchuck State Park on bicycle trails. We went 5.5 miles with 1,000 feet of elevation gain.

The park has mountains wrapped around it like a "U."

After doing the shady east side, we crossed over to the west side. Trails were steeper and more open, with dangerous dropoffs. In the sun, it was cool with high trees filtering the light.

It was magical.

"Someday there will be a bicycle race here, and this beautiful place will be discovered and swarmed with mountain bicycles," Dan said.

"No!" I replied, saddened. "This is our go-to hike close to town. It's wonderful for snowshoeing in the winter."

Left to right: Asters, Valerian, running sap on a pine tree, and the view of Mission Ridge Ski Area last April.

What made the tree sap run down? Perhaps woodpeckers piercing the bark.

LiterateHiker 9 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

sounds like you live in a very magical place

Beautiful...as usual in your part of the world!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:373129
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.